Refresh rate vs Resolution monitor

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Hi I can't decide b/w high refresh rate monitors vs higher resolution monitors. Even the higher resolution monitor (4k) 60hz costs(600usd) lower than 2k 1440p 144hz (800usd).I don't plan fps games tho, I prefer role playing games and racing like forza nfs gta farcry tomb rider deus ex ghost recon football evil within assassin's Creed mafia risen son of Rome etc. So what will be the better choice for me? High refresh rate vs Resolution? I prefer good looking games but really I don't have any experience in high refresh rate

Solution
I would recommend a variable refresh rate (Freesync or G-Sync) first as it will smooth out games regardless of frame rate. Within that category I'd go for the 1440p 120Hz or higher monitor. If you have the video card horsepower, use upscaling to run at 4K in games that look better with a higher resolution (I actually run Black Desert Online at 5K using a 1080Ti because it smooths out some artifacts in the game). Upscaling won't give you a perfect 4K experience - but it is close unless you are extremely sensitive to a monitor's pixel pitch.

Using a 1440p monitor will help avoid scaling issues with Windows and the apps that are poorly optimized for 4K. But, really, you would do well to check out monitors at a local store if you can...

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

GTX 1070 is perfect for 1080p@100+fps and good for 1440p@60 (Ultra settings). I wouldn't recommend it for 4k.

To play on 1440p@144Hz or 4k@60Hz (ultra settings), you need at least a GTX 1080 or a Vega 64.

Vega 56 is AMD's equivalent of GTX 1070 (rumors say 20% better)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I would recommend a variable refresh rate (Freesync or G-Sync) first as it will smooth out games regardless of frame rate. Within that category I'd go for the 1440p 120Hz or higher monitor. If you have the video card horsepower, use upscaling to run at 4K in games that look better with a higher resolution (I actually run Black Desert Online at 5K using a 1080Ti because it smooths out some artifacts in the game). Upscaling won't give you a perfect 4K experience - but it is close unless you are extremely sensitive to a monitor's pixel pitch.

Using a 1440p monitor will help avoid scaling issues with Windows and the apps that are poorly optimized for 4K. But, really, you would do well to check out monitors at a local store if you can before you decide, you might find a 4K Freesync or G-Sync monitor is better for you than my suggestion. And if you buy locally you can return the monitor more easily should you decide to go a different way.

There is also the option of saving money by going 1080p and using upscaling, but that doesn't work for me, the pixel pitch annoys me too much. Many enjoy 4K upscaling on a 1080p monitor though.

Solution

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
I used dsr few times to 1440p in Grand 5, Witcher 3 doesn't support it or Idk how to adjust the game, rotr forza require more horse power than gtx 1060 even for dsr 1440p, and local stores india, they never buy back the product when it's bought. Thanks guys!!