New PC screen going black at odd times

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Hey guys, built a new pc a little bit ago and it runs great. The only issue i have is that sometimes the screen goes black for a couple seconds as if it's changing resolution. It happens at the oddest times though.

The most consistent time is every time i STOP watching Netflix. It doesn't do it when i pick a show and start watching it. It does it when I either close the tab, leave Netflix by going to a different site, or every time i go to the next episode of whatever I'm watching, which technically is leaving the page to go to another one. It happens every time i do this.

It also happened just now when i was playing a game full screen. I don't think i did anything to make it happen. I was actually not pushing anything as i was waiting for an enemy in the game to walk by me. It was only like 15 seconds though so i know it wasn't sleep mode.

In fact. I'm pretty sure i turned sleep mode off.

The one thing i think may factor in is that my new build is using a GeForce 1080 founders edition but I'm using my old monitor which is at 1920x1080.

I know I'm running at a pretty low res for what my pc is (at least that's what everyone keeps telling me) so i don't know if this could be a factor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Besides it always doing it when leaving a Netflix page, the random times have only happened a few times over the last month, but once it happened today while in the middle of playing game, it started to worry me.

Also never happened while playing this game before over the course of like 8 hours.

Solution
Check your display settings including where is says display drivers update n stuff. Around that area should be where it shows the hz your monitor is set to run to. Sometimes updates mess with this or reset it and it can cause this issue. Please set the refresh rate to your monitors. This should fix your issue. I know it did mine.

recent updates by MS have reset some of the monitor settings for a lot of people. hope this helps.

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
No help yet eh? This saddens me.

Anyway, I figured out something. The reason the screen went black for a second while I was playing my game was because of this...

I had netflix paused in a tab while I was playing the game. I've realized that if I leave netflix paused long enough, the screen will go black for a second like all the other times. that's what caused it to happen. Maybe leaving it paused long enough stops the.. I dunno, buffering or something. Or it just doesn't consider itself "ready to play" anymore, if you get what I mean.

So it all revolves around netflix. Does this help at all?

EDIT:

Could it be because of this?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

wizzardofnozs

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
Check your display settings including where is says display drivers update n stuff. Around that area should be where it shows the hz your monitor is set to run to. Sometimes updates mess with this or reset it and it can cause this issue. Please set the refresh rate to your monitors. This should fix your issue. I know it did mine.

recent updates by MS have reset some of the monitor settings for a lot of people. hope this helps.

Solution