Multiple Projectors : Single Image

phil123654

Commendable
May 27, 2016
So my father has always wanted an incredible Home-Theater set up to watch his movies, and looking around online, he now wants a projector to display an image roughly 100" big.

Because I am the tech support in my house, I told him simply: " If you want a great image, you need a high resolution" and explained that a 1080p image on a 100" screen won't look nearly as good as a 4K image on a 100" screen.

With some research we found 4K projectors (the 'non-sketchy' ones) ranged from $2,000-$30,000

That's a bit much...

So I had this genius idea (based on Linus Tech Tips:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=211Vdi4oC9o

What if I bought 4; 1080p projectors and hooked them up like Linus did. (1080p projectors can be found from $50-$150 a pop) ( I found one that I trust so I could get 4 exact copies)
I think it should work, right?

Each projector displays one, 50" image and they combine up to a 100" diagonal screen at 4K. and better yet, It should be bezel-less if I aimed them correctly.

I have only ever used TVs and Monitors, never once got to play with a projector; much less 4.
Is this a legit Idea? Is there a property of projectors that would make it impossible? I'm starting to get hyped and I'd like to know sooner rather than later if I'm wasting my time.

Solution

Or you get a giant tv.
The biggest problem with driving 4 displays is the desync. The moment you start using more than 1 display for display an image across it you will start getting problems with the image lagging behind. However there is a solution for it but it's rather expensive. Quadro and firepro cards have a way better driver for multi screen syncing and will do the job. You do need to get one form the last 4 years and they are rather expensive.

EDIT:
Unless he is watching content higher thna 1080p it will still look the same as just using 1 projector.
Also the cost of maintaining 4 projectors gets expensive real quick. (power + yearly bulb replacement).

Solution