G-sync vs Image quality in games

gt73_dominator

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi everyone.
I stucked with buying a new monitor for my pc.
My gpu is asus rog strix 1080ti oc
And Im not sure which one does the job.

Samsung CHG70
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XT6WQCJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501807349&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=chg70&dpPl=1&dpID=41QErex0q4L&ref=plSrch

ASUS Pg279q
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017EVR2VM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501807421&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pg279q&dpPl=1&dpID=41NvEug7zyL&ref=plSrch

First ones advantages are
1ms response
Quantom dots
Freesync 2
Hdr
More accurate color space and image quality (125 percent srgb)
No BLB Problem (va panel)
3000:1 contrast

And the second one
Gsync support
Ips panel

The main question is do I really need gsync? I mean as long as I know its for screen tear when the gpu cant give the frame and mine is very strong and I dont think it happens?!

And can I use hdr without an amd card? I heard hdr comes works when you got gsync 2 and freesync 2.

And which pc games actually support hdr by now and future?

I plan to get 120fps in 2k with high settings not ultra and max details.

Thanks everyone.

Solution
Here's a review for a different 144Hz Samsung quantum dot VA screen from last fall, albeit one that is 24 inches and 1080p, and without the fancy new HDR features...

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

Near the bottom of the review, they included a video showing the potential "reverse-ghosting" that can be visible in certain situations, particularly when the screen refresh rate is around 100Hz using FreeSync. These screens apparently don't have a problem with ghosting in the traditional sense, but the strong pixel overdrive they use to avoid that can lead to some situations where there's a discolored trail behind an abject. Again, this was in the last generation of screens though, and I haven't seen any detailed reviews...
With the 1080ti you really dont need it with those monitors. There is more at play tho with these 2 as the ASUS is an IPS monitor while the other is a TN/VA panel. The IPS ASUS has way better color. Freesync is AMD only as Nvidia has yet to support. I would get the ASUS 27inch as a 32inch really should be ultra wide(1440X3440) or 4k.

That's not likely true. The Samsung screen has an quantum dot VA panel, and I know at least the previous generation of their quantum dot panels were known for having excellent color quality, comparable to an IPS panel, and 3 times the static contrast ratio of an IPS screen. Also, note that the Samsung is a curved monitor.

The previous generation did apparently have some minor overdrive issues potentially causing a small amount of "inverse ghosting" at certain variable refresh rates under Freesync, though that may have changed in these new screens. In any case, those previous-generation panels were considered some of the best VA panels by some monitor review sites.

Most of the VA color quality is darker colors and black due to its ability to block the back light better. That mostly gives it better color than a TN but I wouldn't put it an equal to an IPS on color. In the colors its best at is also where it really slows down. Darker and black colors on the VA are very slow. The new Gray to Gray tests make the monitors seem faster at latency than the actually are. This also gets into ghosting. I think VA panels need more time.

gt73_dominator

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Im agreed with burner myself.
But here is one thing...
I saw a video on youtube of testing gsync off or on in witcher 3. His build was 1080 sli and fps was about 100+ and I didnt see much different in it. Both tests was pretty smooth.
And there was another one about "nvidia graphic card on freesync monitor" from some guy named joker or something...
He also belived that gsync in high fps doesnt make a great job.
What about you? What do guys think?

Ill absolutely choose va qled according all this.

Gaidax

Distinguished
I have PG279Q, so maybe you will consider my answer biased, but still, this monitor replaced my previous IPS monitor without GSYNC and I can assure you - GSYNC makes a load of difference because it indeed eliminates tearing or vanilla vsync issues.

I am no VA expert, but if you read about it - not all well in the garden there, for example they seem to have ghosting issues.

You can see what ghosting is here, when you have fast moving object a dark trail can be left there. For example at work I use Dell U2412M and it indeed has ghosting effect, on the other hand my PG279Q does not have ghosting there.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

IMO out of 2, the most sense would be to go for PG279Q purely because it has GSYNC, no ghosting and you got 1080Ti, meaning you often will be in a frame rate range where you get biggest bang out of GSYNC buck (which indeed works) and having no tearing at high FPS is BIG when you are talking about quality.

As a side note, Freesync does not work with 1080Ti in case you thought it does.

gt73_dominator

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Here's a review for a different 144Hz Samsung quantum dot VA screen from last fall, albeit one that is 24 inches and 1080p, and without the fancy new HDR features...

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c24fg70/

Near the bottom of the review, they included a video showing the potential "reverse-ghosting" that can be visible in certain situations, particularly when the screen refresh rate is around 100Hz using FreeSync. These screens apparently don't have a problem with ghosting in the traditional sense, but the strong pixel overdrive they use to avoid that can lead to some situations where there's a discolored trail behind an abject. Again, this was in the last generation of screens though, and I haven't seen any detailed reviews of these new ones yet to indicate whether or not that may have been improved.

From what I've heard, Samsung might have G-sync versions of their gaming monitors coming eventually as well, though I have no idea when that might be.

Solution

Gaidax

Distinguished
Well to be honest the whole backlight bleed thing is somewhat overblown issue, but then I use various IPS monitors for years now so maybe I have grown a thick skin about it. Personally for me it's something you have to actively look for for it to be noticeable. It does exist, but really no real life effect for me in gaming and I game in dark room.

I can happily assure you that PG279Q has no ghosting at all, only the other hand.

lightningkosmos

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017

Did you test them ? i 'm stuck too with the same monitor choice