internet gets slower longer system runs without reboot

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
This is a problem I had on my old laptop running windows 7, and I had come to think perhaps it was just related to the computer or the installation being old. But I now have a brand new laptop running windows 10 and the same problem occurs. I feel fairly certain this is a Windows system problem because this issue doesn't show up on any of my mobile devices.

Basically the whole problem is summed up in the title: the longer my system stays on the slower internet speeds get. This leaves me no choice but to reboot the system to restore normal internet functioning even at times when I'd rather not do this because I'm in the middle of things on the computer. When I do reboot there is a dramatic increase in internet speeds. But as always this falls off with time.

Has anyone else who has experienced this problem found a solution? is there a way I can somehow "reset" the internet on Windows without rebooting the system? (Closing and re-opening the internet connection without rebooting shows no improvement.)

thanks for your help.

Solution
It could be that you dont have plenty of space on your hdd? - if windows struggles, it impacts everything else.
have you tried to manually set firefox temp internet file size? - could be full and you have not mentioned clearing it.
you have firefox with addons - have you tried with them off? - some addons even if they work, can be collecting data or background ad spamming without your consent.
When youre asleep your computer is on, not asleep/standby? - possible on-wake issue with your mobo/net card.
What antivirus program do you use ... by default most are set to run after your system is idle for longer than an hour .. and sometimes dont turn off (this used to be an issue with avast 2 years ago and avast declined to admit fault in...

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
are you sure that your isp isnt throttling your speeds after detecting 'high use volume' to stop home server torrenting?

when does this happen? when you go for lunch and return? when you have spent 4 hours streaming movies? other 'sensitive' surfing? TOR surfing? vpn access? possible cookie adware? longer you surf, more cookies build up and spam you with ads? a blocker just stops you seeing the ad, it doesnt stop it getting streamed to you. you need adware program for that.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009

I'm not sure my ISP does throttling or not, but the reason I don't think that's the issue is because this happens regardless of my own internet usage, and always seems to "correct itself" when I reboot the system. It's hard for me to find a direct cause, other than passage of time. Definitely after my computer has been up running straight for one day I will notice the problem upon waking up and using the computer. Web pages will be loading more slowly, etc. Following some recommendations I read on the net, I have cleaned all caches and cookies on firefox, and cleaned the network cache. But this hasn't made a difference. I don't do streaming video though I now and then use youtube. One other thing I note, something which I didn't notice on my past system but which is happening is that I can't get any video to play without constantly "freezing" as it plays, and this happens with every web browser I try, not just firefox my default browser. I reinstalled flash but no difference. If I use third party software to downloda the video off youtube, it will generally download quickly and then I can view it on my computer, but it is basically impossible to watch any video on youtube itself. Once again this doesn't happen on my mobile devices, it's only happening on my Windows 10 system. I am trying to find out what the most likely culprit for all of this is. Could something related to internet/network settings on my system be corrupted?

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
It could be that you dont have plenty of space on your hdd? - if windows struggles, it impacts everything else.
have you tried to manually set firefox temp internet file size? - could be full and you have not mentioned clearing it.
you have firefox with addons - have you tried with them off? - some addons even if they work, can be collecting data or background ad spamming without your consent.
When youre asleep your computer is on, not asleep/standby? - possible on-wake issue with your mobo/net card.
What antivirus program do you use ... by default most are set to run after your system is idle for longer than an hour .. and sometimes dont turn off (this used to be an issue with avast 2 years ago and avast declined to admit fault in their program / yet it got patched by them a few months later). - this ends up taking all of your computers run time as its trying to scan everything you do.

just note, your phone/tablet work differently to a computer. they only access the data stream when you demand it, and dont when you leave them alone (unless you have a cheap chinese phone that has hardcoded datatheft embedded). They kill all program use on close, you even have to re-load previous pages with the back key.

Solution