How to recover windows 10 product key from dead laptop.

Hungry1

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
How should I recover my windows 10 product key.

My laptops HDD had its files corrupted. But it still runs and is recognized by system.

My laptops BIOS is dead. I took apart the laptop and when I put it back together. It would not run.

I can't look into the bios to find it. I can't use software like jelly bean to find the product key off hdd since the files are corrupted. Should I use hdd recovery software to fix it and then use jelly bean ?

Solution
Hi

Is the win 10 an free upgrade to an earlier windows 7 or 8 or did it come with win 10 preinstalled?

If so and oem win 7 or 8 or 10 on laptop probably windows not transferable

( not clear if oem win 10 licence can be attached to microsoft account)

If you purchased win 10 or win 10 upgrade on a dvd or usb you would still have the key

If the hard disk is not physically damaged and windows registry files intact then nirsofts produkey can read the windows key from the registry file

Provided hard drive attached by esata, sata or usb to a working windows PC

Regards
Mike Barnes

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017
Typically if you are going to use that key to activate a different device, it will not work, since the key is tied to the hardware. When you try to activate a different device with that key and it sees that it is all different hardware it will say that the key has already been used to activate a different device.

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, a preinstalled Win 10 license as would come on a laptop is not transferable to a new device.

If you're reinstalling the OS on a new drive in this same system, you do not need the license key.

unless you linked your windows 10 licence to a MS account then i do not see any way of recovering it. with windows 10 most of the time MS will activate by giving your computer a hardware ID so any key you would find would just be a generic key that can't be used to reactivate

Hi

Is the win 10 an free upgrade to an earlier windows 7 or 8 or did it come with win 10 preinstalled?

If so and oem win 7 or 8 or 10 on laptop probably windows not transferable

( not clear if oem win 10 licence can be attached to microsoft account)

If you purchased win 10 or win 10 upgrade on a dvd or usb you would still have the key

If the hard disk is not physically damaged and windows registry files intact then nirsofts produkey can read the windows key from the registry file

Provided hard drive attached by esata, sata or usb to a working windows PC

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

TRENDING THREADS