Dell Optiplex 790 into a new case?

Bussey97

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Recently I bought a Dell Optiplex 790 for $40 off a friend who didn't need it. I watched a lot of YouTube videos about these being turned into pretty decent gaming PCs so I took the idea and ran with it. My specs are as follows after some upgrading:
Xenon E3-1220 3.10 GHZ
16GB of Ram
GTX 950
And I believe a 500w power supply
It's a very modest build but works great with running WoW and other games I like to play like CS and Rocket League. The only problem is I'm pretty bored with the basic case and would love to change it to something a little more visually appealing, is it possible to basically just transfer my current PC build into a new case motherboard and all? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Which OptiPlex 790 are we talking about here? There are 4 form factors, MT/DT/SFF/uSFF. I'm assuming you have the MT given that the GTX970 doesn't come in a low profile flavor. You could tranplant the internals but then you're going to have a tough time wiring the front panel to the board seeing how it's just one big connector and there are no wiring diagrams for it.

You could go with this:
Hxa2Lz2.png

but I can't say with confidence you wont come out wasting your time.

IMHO, leave the system as is. You're only adding on parts you could've used to build a new system.

Lutfij

Titan
Which OptiPlex 790 are we talking about here? There are 4 form factors, MT/DT/SFF/uSFF. I'm assuming you have the MT given that the GTX970 doesn't come in a low profile flavor. You could tranplant the internals but then you're going to have a tough time wiring the front panel to the board seeing how it's just one big connector and there are no wiring diagrams for it.

You could go with this:
Hxa2Lz2.png

but I can't say with confidence you wont come out wasting your time.

IMHO, leave the system as is. You're only adding on parts you could've used to build a new system.

Solution