Something wrong with the forum?

Since the last 10 minutes or so whenever I go into a forum post I get the option to click on the green button " Pick as the solution "
And I tryed that once and well... The answer I clicked on got picked as the best solution on the question even if I am not the original poster of the question.
I should not be able to do that.
Anyone else have this option / problem?

Solution
OK lets hold on here a second.

Yes that button is available, no you should not be clicking it unless you are the original poster, or someone is completely confused and specifically asks you to do it.

The only other time you are allowed to click the button (aside from your own thread), is if you come across a really old thread that never had a solution picked, and you know 100% for sure one of the posts in there is the correct answer.

The reason you see the option now is it only activates after a certain amount of time and answers in the forum.

Any questions feel free to ask.
So if you made a post about "X problem with" and need some help with that. I post an answer and several others do also. I or anyone else should be able to pick the solution?
That makes no sence since there is onlt 1 solution to a question that gets picked.
I know one can vote an answer up and down with the arrows... But to be able to pick the solution on every question read... does not seem right.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
OK lets hold on here a second.

Yes that button is available, no you should not be clicking it unless you are the original poster, or someone is completely confused and specifically asks you to do it.

The only other time you are allowed to click the button (aside from your own thread), is if you come across a really old thread that never had a solution picked, and you know 100% for sure one of the posts in there is the correct answer.

The reason you see the option now is it only activates after a certain amount of time and answers in the forum.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Solution

Thanks for clearing that up.
One last side question then. Why am I only now seeing that button for the first time?
Only clicked it once since that option just poped up and I was like: "hmm new button? ok? test!"
I can even guide you to the post I picked as the answer to the post so you can un-do it for me.

Edit: nvm... I see you answered the question already... getting late... man....

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Sorry I added that back in after I posted.

Yes please give me the link.

Link to the post I messed up is sent as a PM to you.

USAFRet

Titan
The super power to select the Best Answer kicks in after you have been awarded 25 (I believe) Best Answers by others.

You now have 26, so that is why you are only seeing it now.

As above, you generally leave it alone, unless it is in a thread that you originate.

Hehe... yea well lesson learned :D
Rogue Leader cleaned up my mess already I see :)
Thanks for the heads up

Maybe one should generate a generic PM that gets sent to a person once that option gets activated telling them to "DONT PRESS THE BUTTON" :D
Just incase numbnuts like me come around and press the shiny green button :)

The rules are quite simple:

1. If the thread originator has chosen an answer you leave it alone. PERIOD.

2. If you come across an obviously abandoned thread (2 or more months old) with no chosen answer you may choose one.

3. If you come across a thread with an answer that is obviously wrong, or a better one exists, you may change it, unless the answer was chosen by the thread originator, in which case you abide by rule #1.

4. You do not choose/remove an answer in an active thread unless you are the thread originator.

5. Do not use multiple accounts to award best answers to one another. You will be permanently
banned for this.

TRENDING THREADS