New PC Build

Antonio_64

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I am building a new PC and I was wondering if using a hard drive with Windows 10 on it from a pre built PC on a new motherboard is possible. Will I have to buy another key? Windows 10 was upgraded from 8.1 which I have the product key for on my pre built PC.

Solution

Transfering windows form 1 pc to another is a bad idea. usually windows will just BSOD and if it works it will go corrupt eventually. Best to do a fresh install. Oem keys are non transferable.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Hold on a second, I did misunderstood the question. You can use the old hard drive with your new build but you need to reinstall windows and update drivers every times you switch boards, If you mean that you want to keep using the same install of Windows on the new computer I would have to say no.

Antonio_64

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Alright, I now understand I need a fresh install of windows and a brand new key. But how would I come to do that? Do I have to factory reset my HDD. I want to keep all of my existing files.

Make a backup on another hdd otherwise this is not possible.

Antonio_64

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Im better off just buying a 60gb ssd just for windows then, does that mean i have to uninstall anything off my current hdd. Sorry if im annoying im new to this XD

60gb is not enough for windows anymore. At the very very minimum I recommend a 120gb ssd.
You'll have to delete everything of off the hard drive except your documents and remove all extra partitions except the one containing your files.

Solution

Antonio_64

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

do you have a link to any video that will show me how to do that, thanks