Does my PC run 1080p

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I know little to nothing about computers and monitors. Anyways the current monitor I'm using supports 1360x760 and I'm looking to upgrade to a new monitor with 144hz refresh rate and1080x1920 resolution. My computer has an hdmi port so my question is if I connect via HDMI will it automatically be 1080p (I have windows 10) or should I check out my components first? The main reason I ask is because I have a RCA tv that supports 1080x1920 on my PS4 but when I connect via hdmi the resolution looks like shit.
Please no sarcastic comments I know this is a stupid question.

Solution
No, VGA would not work. Typical VGA CRT would top out around 85Hz, but VGA is fully analog and won't drive a modern display properly (You won't find a high refresh rate LCD with a VGA port anyway, and you won't be able to use adapters, they would also be limited to 60hz)

A GTX660 is not going to get you 1920x1080 at a high frame rate with recent titles. If you only plan to run low requirement or older titles it would be okay.

The i7-950 is still a decent CPU, but is starting to show its age.

Really you need to be looking at a GTX1070 for 1920x1080x144 for recent games. The i7-950 might hold you back on some of the latest AAA titles.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it has HDMI almost certainly it supports the resolution. However, HDMI is not fast enough for 144hz, only 60hz. You would have to use display port or Dual Link DVI. Some late model cards and monitors do support high refresh through HDMI, but this is not yet common place.

The more important questions; Is your GPU fast enough to run 144hz at 1920x1080. Is your CPU fast enough to handle the data? Impossible to say without having the models of either.

Auto detecting of resolution mostly works. If it isn't automatically changing, you can simply set the resolution from display properties on your computer.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Specs are posted above. Would VGA work for 144hz?
Also, only game I play is CS:GO on low settings, if that helps?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, VGA would not work. Typical VGA CRT would top out around 85Hz, but VGA is fully analog and won't drive a modern display properly (You won't find a high refresh rate LCD with a VGA port anyway, and you won't be able to use adapters, they would also be limited to 60hz)

A GTX660 is not going to get you 1920x1080 at a high frame rate with recent titles. If you only plan to run low requirement or older titles it would be okay.

The i7-950 is still a decent CPU, but is starting to show its age.

Really you need to be looking at a GTX1070 for 1920x1080x144 for recent games. The i7-950 might hold you back on some of the latest AAA titles.

Solution