Re-install OEM Windows - Dell XPS 8700

Ahodson39

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Hey Tom's Community,

I am looking for help re-installing Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 8700 computer. I purchased the complete PC in late 2013, and it came with all the usual software on it including Windows 7. At some point last year the system auto-updated to Windows 10, which is great.

I don't have any of the media/discs that came with the computer, and it has been transferred into a new case - so I don't have access to my physical key printed on the original case. FWIW, I checked and couldn't find any important barcodes when I threw the old case away.

I want to do a clean re-install of Windows to clear out the gunk that has built up over the years, I will be using the same mobo and HD that came in the original computer. Is my OEM Windows key stored anywhere in the system that I can find it? I know I can create fresh recovery media on a USB drive, but I don't have my key anymore and I know it will ask me for that at some point if I re-install.

If I'm leaving out any info let me know and I'll get that ASAP. Thanks for any help you can provide.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
if it was upgraded to windows 10 from 7 on that machine and successfully activated it, you can simply reinstall the same version of Windows 10 (pro or home) without a product key and it will check online afterwards for a previously activated digital license.