4K TV displaying only at 30hz

diego312

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
My TV supports 4k UHD (2160p) and have a 1080 graphics card that should support it as well.

TV: UN55KU6270FXZA (MR 120)
HDMI cable: 4K UHD 2.0 with up to 18mbps bandwidth
GPU: MSI 1080 with all HDMI at 2.0 NOT 1.4

No advanced settings for 2160p at 60hz ONLY 30hz. Can someone help?
Thanks

Solution
"(instead of duplicating my monitor and tv)"
That's why.
Your video card will only output the max capability of the least capable monitor in that mode.
Example: laptop screen is 1366x768, external monitor is 1080p if I choose to duplicate the highest resolution I can choose will be 1366x768.
(This issue may include refresh rates as well or it could be caused by a different limitation and this setting combined. But I would highly recommend that you keep that setting disabled. Instead use the extend my desktop option which allows for different resolutions and refresh rates.)

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
try this:
1. right click desktop, "nvidia control panel", under "Display" "Change resolution" try changing the refresh rate there
2. Look at the settings to see if there is an option to change refresh rate.
If that doesn't work please provide this information:
1. What is the name of the display?
2. Where did you buy it?

The model # is right in the first post.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

Well the specs seems to allow 4k 60 hz so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you can't find any options or anything in the... "ugh" user manual, I'm out of ideas.

Edit: Is your graphics drivers up to date? windows up to date? is everything relevant up to date?

diego312

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
fixed the issue but not sure what really helped. Previously I was not able to up the hz to 60 neither through my tv or pc settings so I updated the drivers and still couldn't. But then I decided to show only my tv's display (instead of duplicating my monitor and tv) and try again in the control panel and it worked. Now I can comfortably switch between my 4k tv and monitor. Thanks for the replies!

"(instead of duplicating my monitor and tv)"
That's why.
Your video card will only output the max capability of the least capable monitor in that mode.
Example: laptop screen is 1366x768, external monitor is 1080p if I choose to duplicate the highest resolution I can choose will be 1366x768.
(This issue may include refresh rates as well or it could be caused by a different limitation and this setting combined. But I would highly recommend that you keep that setting disabled. Instead use the extend my desktop option which allows for different resolutions and refresh rates.)

Solution