Predator X27 or PG27uq for content creation, CAD, and casual gaming?

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
Looking for a monitor with 4K and 144hz, these came up as great candidates. I am looking to edit film with davinci resolve and eventually premier pro, as well as doing some 3D CAD work and casual gaming.

I'm leaning toward Asus, as I feel quantum dot will give better color space and the price is likely lower due to the lack of tobii eye tracking.

Specs: i5-7600k
ASUS Strix gtx 1060
Don't have an ssd yet but will be adding a Samsung 960 evo nvme.

I know renders won't be the fastest on the i5 but I am not going to be doing anything hardcore on a daily basis.

Thank you.
-LC

Solution
Creo is supported on 10, I have it now. Inventor and solidworks are very similar, I find Creo less intuitive and annoying, but that may be because I started on inventor. I don't know what CAE part is, but an important note is that creo is inferior to inventor is its tool tips. When you hover over a tool in Creo, say the tool is swept edge, it will say "create a swept edge". Not very helpful, especially if you have no idea what a swept edge is yet. In Inventor, you hover over the swept edge tool, it explains what a swept edge is in a few sentences, shows an animation of one, and offers additional help through their expansive support website. This is especially important for beginners/amateurs. (like me lol)
You school might offer free...

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
Basically I was looking at those two because I would like to play games at higher refresh rates but would also like to have a 4K ips monitor to cover my workstation needs. So why not get two in one?

I don't know though.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Just something to note not all profesional CAD applications will open without the presence of professional drivers. I made that mistake in buying a GTX 950 last year for my first build and I couldn't do my CAD stuff. Now I have two GPUs in my system and I switch between them via which is plugged into the monitor. THat being said, if you're using 123D, sketchup, TinkerCAD, or the likes, you don't have to worry but I was using Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks.

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
Yeah. I'm using blender to get into CAD before moving onto something like solidworks or Siemens NX. By then I will probably have upgraded my system to the point where I can run those heavier programs.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Blender is parametric, and there is a Creo Parametric which can be gotten for free if you are a student or educator.
I've never used Blender, so it's hard for me to say. I'm gonna download it and play around for a bit and see what I think.
However, my quick google revealed that blender has no model tree and coordinate system, which are my favorite features of the professional stuff

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Okay, not even Creo is remotely similar. All of the ones I have rely on sketches to create parts... I couldn't even get as far as creating a part, yet alone even a sketch.
Blender allows you to put shapes down and then mold the shapes. Not precise like an engineering team would need to my knowledge.
If you want/need something besides blender is really up to what you want to do with CAD. If you wan't to be and engineer, or would like to try thee software either way, before getting the professional software and being overwhelmed by all of the new features, toolsets, models trees, ect., try using 123D (not officially supported any more, but still my favorite for beginners or quick stuff) or sketchup. Or both. Going from blender to Solidworks sounds like a pretty big jump to me.
If you want to make characters or little things to 3D print that do not rely on precision, it is fine.
Here is what somebody on some other forum had to say about it (with emphasis and de-emphasis for this purpose):
Blender is not a CAD software. It is a very weak NURBS/Parametric_surface modeler. In Blender you would be making everything from polygons.

[strike]You are also looking for procedural workflow which Blender generally does not offer.[/strike] Blender is a 3d software with most of it's actions being destructive.

There are no work-planes or sketches. There is no easy export into technical drawing. It is time consuming to constraint geometrical elements (parallel, tangent, etc. relationships) with the constraint system Blender has.

Blender can be used for engineering, but it's not designed for it. As such engineering workflow with Blender is slow and full of workarounds.

There is Sverchok addon that can create geometry procedurally - it is simmilar to Rhino's grasshopper.

There are addons to make precise measurements and to help with other engineering tasks, but they cannot change what Blender is.

Blender modifiers are procedural (mirror, revolve, array, boolean,..).

There are just much better alternatives for free CAD software, then to use Blender for CAD

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
Ok. Yes I plan on becoming a theme park or aerospace engineer so try a different software?

I have already begun designing my own rides using a force vector in hopes that an early start will help. I would like to do the same with CAD so something similar to Solidworks or Siemens NX would be the best route for me.

Any suggestions?

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
My physics teacher would say aerospace= Creo, and his opinion is avlid as he made some awesome stuff as an engineer. he says Creo is known for it surfacing features which is very important for aerospace. I find it the least intuitive of the "big three" (Inventor, Solidworks, Creo, and I guess its really four with Siemens NX, I just haven't heard of it before), but people use it. Just not me, lol. Inventor, as well as many other softwares form auodesk (notably flow design for looking at aerospacey things) can be gotten for free with an autodesk education community account. Creo can be gotten for free as well. I think you can get solidworks student for a reasonable price (I saw a one year licence for $100, but that wasn't from the solidworks website and I don't know what it costs from there because I'd have to fill out a form to find out). Non of those are similar to blender. All three can run simulations, although Solidworks is in top of the stack there. Solidworks also wins in the large assemblies race. Creo is the surfacing winner.
Our interests align quite well with the aerospace stuff

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
With that in mind I'd get inventor for free because its very similar to solidworks. Of course, it can't thurt to get Creo as well, you just might think its the best thing out there. Both are free if you're a student

Ne0Wolf7, have you even tried to use SolidWorks, Inventor, Creo, Siemens NX/SolidEdge, and/or Blender? You're going "teacher this, teacher that".

SolidWorks SUCKS at large assemblies. If you've ever used it, you'll know how painstakingly slow it becomes. Inventor is much better at managing assemblies, but it fails to ensure basic processes for a single part.

I haven't used Creo or SolidEdge.

Blender can't do molding for its own life. You use Blender to generate meshes and faces to a certain designed object, not the other way around (make some suitable object out of Blender faces and meshes). You can make the most complex curve (like a human nose) that few other modeling programs can do because Blender is not even remotely parametric. It isn't fit for ANY form of engineering.

OP, if you're trying to design a roller coaster, I would suggest something along the lines of SolidWorks and Solid Edge/NX to create parts, then export to Inventor for file assembly using .stl or .iges. If you're designing a park... Well... Um... Sorry, that's not my forte.

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
OKC I already have software to form and shape track and monitor rider forces (force-vector) but I would need to use actual CAD to engineer my own trains and track, and to do an assembly of the ride.

Plus it would help me in the long run if I end up in aerospace, as many positions on companies like spaceX and Boeing require experience in CAD.

And what you suggested sounds good - I'll give it a shot.

So Solidworks and NX are the two to go with right? And inventor for assembly of parts

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
Jeez Solidworks is expensive on their website. I know NX 11 Learners edition is 100 bucks and inventor is free so right now that may be what I am looking at.

Is there a cheaper single license of SolidWorks?

If you're in college ask the administrators to check out the SolidWorks students license. It's free for students. There will be limited amounts of features, but you aren't exactly going to use PhotoView 360 for a screw.

I was thinking you were talking about the individual cars that you'll need to make the parts then put them to test in an assembly. Perhaps just use your software for the tracks?

Serenity_3

Notable
Apr 5, 2017
I'm only 14 - going into 9th grade.

I just have one question. Can my 1060 run Solidworks or will I need a quadro card? Also is there a way to still keep my 1060 for gaming or video editing but use a quadro for CAD?

My software right now only lets me engineer the track layout based on rider forces. Cad would let me design the actual track pieces and supports to have a "finished" ride.