Upgrading my monitor, is 4 ms response time too slow for gaming?

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I do not have the slightest idea when it comes to picking out a monitor, but recently I've decided to upgrade my monitor to 1440p. I found a 23.8 " 165Hz monitor that has G-Sync with a 1 ms response time, and 27" 144Hz monitor that has free-sync with a 4 ms time. Right now I have a 23" 720p VIZIO TV so I am fairly certain any of those monitors will be a good upgrade, let me know if I am wrong.

I usually slow to medium paced first person shooters, (such as Squad/Arma 3, and Rainbow Six Siege) and some racing games, all played non-competitively.

Right now I have a R9 380 2GB card, which when I get the monitor I will be upgrading to either Nvidia or AMD high tier cards, but it will depend on the monitor I choose.

In your personal opinion, which monitor would you choose if you were in my situation?

G-Sync Monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Free-Sync Monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Thank you for your answer! Do you recommend getting the new gpu first or the monitor first? I'll probably pick up the Vega 56 ( or what ever it is called) or maybe the Vega 64 when they are released. Hopefully I will get them before the miners do

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Isn't that kind of pointless though? The GTX 1080ti is G-sync and the monitor you recommended is free-sync. Am I missing something here?

I agree that the second monitor is arguably "better". It's an IPS panel screen, which should have better color quality and consistency, but that's also why it has a 4ms pixel refresh, since that's as fast as IPS screens tend to get. It's also 27 inches diagonal, where the first one is 24.

I would wait a bit to see how the Vega cards fare though, if you're interested in using adaptive sync, since that might help determine your choice of Freesync or G-sync. The air-cooled Vega cards will likely cost less for a given performance level, although it sounds like they'll be rather power-hungry under load.

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I'm actually hoping that they are, hopefully they will deter miners away from them, however I heard that they will be outstanding at mining :/

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
The Asus MG279Q is a great monitor.
The only downside to this monitor is it's a 144hz panel with a limited 35-90hz standard freesync range.
With the use of CRU (custom resolution utility) you can increase the range.
I was able to get 57-144hz on mine which is the absolute minimum you need for LFC to work, your results may vary.

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Are you saying that if I don't use freesync that I would get the full 144hz? Or is it 35-90Hz no matter what unless I use CRU

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
144hz works fine.
The limit is with the freesync window of 35-90hz.
If you don't use/care about freesync then you can just set 144hz and that's it.
If you don't want to modify anything but want to use freesync you have to set the refresh rate to 90hz and then cap your fps to never go over 90fps.

bacon4life

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Oh okay, I understand now. Thank you so much for explaining it to me

TRENDING THREADS