Will I keep all my files after installing windows?

Sho Co2

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
So tomorrow when I receive my final component I'm going to upgrade my Fx-4300 to a Ryzen 5 1600x. Of course, I had incompatible socket types so I also bought a AM4 motherboard to go with it. I read online that when switching motherboards that I would have to reinstall windows, but if I do, will I keep all my files and settings since I'll still be using the same HDD? Or will I need to put my files in a backup external drive then export them back in later?

Solution

You should absolutely put your critical files on a different drive during this process.

All the promises in the world of "Keep your files and settings" means a hill of beans if the house power bleeps during a reinstall.
And if you're doing a clean install, your...

USAFRet

Titan

You should absolutely put your critical files on a different drive during this process.

All the promises in the world of "Keep your files and settings" means a hill of beans if the house power bleeps during a reinstall.
And if you're doing a clean install, your applications will need to be reinstalled anyway.

Which OS is this?

Solution

Sho Co2

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah, Im going to be running windows 10 on it. Thanks for the reply, Ill read into it

USAFRet

Titan

You install on the drive, not the motherboard.
Consider anything on that specific drive to be gone during the install.