2002 computer Help

angnan77

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
For months I have been going over and over in my mind regarding the computers in cars. I hate it.
I'm driving my 2002 Sentra,. I'm thankful it's not a newer car. Are there any computers I should know about in my car?
I'm a 58 year old woman trying to keep old school alive.
Thank you ☺

Solution
a 2002 sentra has an ecu/ecm/pcm/silverbox that controls the cars fuel, ignition, spark and timing as well as emission data and controls under obd2. I may be wrong, but it does 8 different emission checks for that car. It also can provide codes to tell you what is going on if your car has issues. it's actually pretty robust for that car and you should not have issues with it.

Most likely the things that will go out in that car first is the fan resistor, the cam / crank sensors, etc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is certainly at least one computer associated with the engine controls (under the hood). This is a device that you, as a driver, would never directly interact with.

Are article that might help explain all of this in linked below:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a7386/how-it-works-the-computer-inside-your-car/

Personally, I would suggest to just ignore this and drive safely and contently. You have nothing to worry about.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
a 2002 sentra has an ecu/ecm/pcm/silverbox that controls the cars fuel, ignition, spark and timing as well as emission data and controls under obd2. I may be wrong, but it does 8 different emission checks for that car. It also can provide codes to tell you what is going on if your car has issues. it's actually pretty robust for that car and you should not have issues with it.

Most likely the things that will go out in that car first is the fan resistor, the cam / crank sensors, etc.

Solution

angnan77

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Thank you COLGeek, and mymutter, this is fantastic news! I'm thankful my car can't make the decision to brake or anything else for me.
That was a big fear... To think a car computer can make the best solution for me while driving!