Need Help With Windows 10 Installation on a new PC

Matthew_279

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I have posted this on the microsoft forums as well. Just trying to get a fast response.

For a while I have been trying to bring old life into a old hp PC to turn into a gaming PC. I have been having a issue installing windows 10. I select the boot device from a USB with the windows 10 set up [Same USB I used before on my personal PC so its works, I also put a fresh media creation tool on it.] After I save changes to the bios and attempt to load the media creation tool. It freezes on the windows 10 logo with a black background. The computer specs are above the requirements yet are old. The important specs are below.

-Intel core 2 Quad q6600

-4gb ddr2

-360gb hdd [works I tested installing windows 10 onto on another PC after I had this issue, It worked fine then I wiped the drive and I am having this issue again.]

There is no option for safe boot in my bios so I can not try that. [As far as I looked there is no safe boot but I'm sure there isn't.]

As I said before it freezes at the Windows 10 Logo with a black background. So there is no error code to work with.

To finish this up if anyone could help me or has had issues like this before please give me a hand.

Solution
There won't be a safe mode in bios on old hardware,you have to roll this up the other way around,you have to make sure your installation media is made to run on mbr bios and mbr partitions.
You can use rufus and select mbr to do this.

If this still get's you the same problem then you will have to slipstream the mobo drivers and especially the sata drivers to the installation media.

Since you can connect the drive to a different PC there is an easier solution.
You can use imagex to transfer the instalation.wim from a installation usb/dvd to a hdd/sdd so that the installation will be done on the target system,no slipstreaming and no nothing.
All you need is imagex you can download gigabytes of stuff from MS to get it,or you can search...
There won't be a safe mode in bios on old hardware,you have to roll this up the other way around,you have to make sure your installation media is made to run on mbr bios and mbr partitions.
You can use rufus and select mbr to do this.

If this still get's you the same problem then you will have to slipstream the mobo drivers and especially the sata drivers to the installation media.

Since you can connect the drive to a different PC there is an easier solution.
You can use imagex to transfer the instalation.wim from a installation usb/dvd to a hdd/sdd so that the installation will be done on the target system,no slipstreaming and no nothing.
All you need is imagex you can download gigabytes of stuff from MS to get it,or you can search for imagex alone on the web.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744531(v=ws.10).aspx
The only command needed is this one.
(Of course you'll have to make sure that the drive has an active and bootable partition)
imagex /apply N:\Images\my-windows-partition.wim 1 W:\

All you have to do is change the drive letters, if your dvd or mounted iso is D:
and the target hdd/ssd is E:
you use
imagex /apply D:\sources\install.wim 1 E:
Make triple sure that you use the proper drive letter for the target all data on that disk will be destroyed.
type cmd on the search bar and run command
the 1 at the end tells it wich list item to use.
If you have a dvd with multiple versions you can use
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\x86\sources\install.esd /index:1(2-3... )
to see which is which.
Make a folder with all the drivers on the disk so they will be available to windows after its booted up and your done.

As stated first make sure to make the drive primary and active so that it will start up when you put it into the other system.

Solution

Matthew_279

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017

You have a video on this? Seems like a lot of annoying work so a video would be great. Thanks for the help