Seagate 2-Bay NAS Black Armor - Shared folders gone

aaronpricey

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Hi There
please excuse me as I am fairly new to the NAS world and only an amateur IT person both at work and home.
I have a Seagate 2-Bay business NAS black Armor, which I use at home to store video's and pictures and other important documents.
I had it set up as RAID 1 so that these files were backed up.
the history of the issue was I had the AMBER light come up.
so I shut down and disconnected 1 drive to see if it had failed. still had amber light.
so repeated for the next drive, still had the amber light.
I removed the Seagate portable back up and the amber light went back to blue.
however after doing this, I could not access the mapped drive.
I logged into the web browser and noticed that in the drive diagnostics it had "recovering"
I let this complete and then still could not see the shared folder.
on the dashboard it lists the types of files and qty, with about 86K of pictures, 2K of videos and X amount of files. which would be correct.
but when going to the shared section in the web browser the NAS does not list the folder in which these sub folders and files would be located.
using the Seagate NAS discovery tool, I can discover the NAS, but it will not list any shared folders either.
can anyone help shed some light on what may have happened and how I can get these folders/file back.
thanks for taking the time to read this and appreciate all help in advance.
Aaron

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
As you've learned RAID is not backup. In any case recovery is often possible on these failed Seagate NAS devices. I've worked on many of them. This NAS uses Linux Software RAID / mdadm under the hood. So if you know Linux give it a try. Or RAID recovery software like R-Studio or UFSexplorer may work.

If you get stuck or need more help let me know.