Unable to change screen resolution

drlanator

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I just got a shuttle xpc cube s171g computer. I am running windows 10. I am able to change the resolution to what I want, but my monitor says "format not supported" and then I have to wait for it to revert. It only lets me use 1024 x 768. I know my monitor can display higher resolutions because I can do so when my other computer is plugged into it. I know this issue can usually be solved by updating the graphics driver (i have amd radeon 3000 integrated graphics) but the installer fails to install the new driver. What I don't understand is that if I run a game, set the resolution in game to what I want (1360 x 768) and then minimize the game, my desktop is at the right resolution! Why does it work then, but I can't change it permanently? Thanks in advance.

drlanator

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

I think you misunderstand my problem. I need to update my graphics drivers, but the installation always fails.

Ignoring the gpu driver update for the moment, your main issue was that the screen could not be set to the monitors resolution, this can be solved using the inf file.

drlanator

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Ok, where can I find this inf file?

drlanator

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Nevermind, I solved it by going into display adapter properties, clicking "list all modes" and selecting the resolution there. I wonder why it didnt work from the regular resolution adjuster.