Can't Access Second Drive In Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
I can't access a second drive (that has data on it as well as an MBR and Linux Mint / Win XP).

It shows up in device manager.

It shows up in Disk Management.

But in disk management, when i right click the drive, the ONLY available option is Delete Volume.

There is no drive letter assigned to it (in disk management)

Since I want to access the data on this drive, I am pretty sure that I SHOULDN'T delete the volume, right?

In disk management, for this second drive, it says the disk is Online.

If I right click this disk in disk manager, then click on properties, then select Volumes, under partition style it says: Master Boot Record

it shows two partitions. The first is 147GB and it says:

Healthy (Active, Primary partition).

The second is 3.84GB, and it says Healthy (Primary Partition).

Again, if I right click on EITHER of the partitions, the only option available is: delete volume.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Solution
Might have found something here.

Could you try to run TestDisk to see the file system.
If it has a linux // mac filesystem, you could use DiskInternals to try to recover it.

I personally have not used these programs before, but if you encounter any problems just ask and we'll try to figure it out together.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks for the note. Since it was originally an XP drive that I later added Linux Mint onto, I am guessing it is in NTFS or FAT32.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014

While I can access the properties when in disk management, I can't assign a letter to it.

I can't access it at all in file explorer (meaning, it doesn't even show up in explorer at all).

R3PLAY

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Alright, the reason you can't see it in file explorer is because you need a drive letter, if you don't have a drive letter it won't show up.

Is there any important data that you need on this disk?

EDIT: Could you send a screenshot of your disk management please?

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014

Here is a screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suns5jdlg78l691/Untitled.png?dl=0

It is the disk on the bottom of the disk management (Disk 1). As you can see, when I right click on it, the only available option is delete volume 9all the other options cannot be clicked).

Yes, there are important files on it.

Thanks again.

R3PLAY

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Are you sure that there are files on it, it says 100% free. It doesn't show a file system either.

Since when did you experience this problem, do you have a other PC on which it does work?

I've done some research online, found one thread from 2010, with no solution, will do some more research, I'll keep you updated if I find something.

R3PLAY

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Might have found something here.

Could you try to run TestDisk to see the file system.
If it has a linux // mac filesystem, you could use DiskInternals to try to recover it.

I personally have not used these programs before, but if you encounter any problems just ask and we'll try to figure it out together.

Solution

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. Disk Internals actually worked (in a way).

It read the files that were in Linux format and it allows you to copy and save them on to the main hard drive.

So once I have double-checked and made sure that I have copied everything I need over to my main hard drive, I will format the second hard drive and use it as a spare data drive, I guess (don't really know what to do with a 147GB hard drive).

Thanks for the "outside the box" suggestion you gave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS