Help needed to pick material for wooden PC Desktop-Case

aureux

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
So, I have been thinking of building a desktop-case for myself. Prior to this I looked on the internet for posts of people who have done this and to know which material they used. However, as I kept looking there where comments saying that wooden case PCs are bad idea and then there were others who said that they were safe. Thus, I am reaching the community, looking for people who have made Wooden cases, and see if they can answer the following concerns.

1. Some people were saying that wood does not provide good EMI shielding, and for that reason aluminum is much safer. Does wood actually suck at concealing EMI.

2. Grounding was another topic which was frequent. People commenting sarcastically with "good luck grounding mobo" and such. However, I remember a dude saying that by just using the aluminum frame of the mobo and hdd area of an aluminum case was enough to ground them. Is this true?

3. I am also concern with cooling and heat absorption. So basically which wood material is better at cooling fast and not keeping too much heat inside. I read a project summary by Roxanne L.G. Salas, stating that oak is the best at being heat tolerant and not absorbing too much water (my guess is that it does not absorb too much heat and does not expand or shrink too much). However, oak is expensive and heavy. So is there any other kind of wood that does the job I want. Some people commented that plywood is good enough, but I am unsure about that.

4. I guess noise absorption is another concern, but then again I could add interior padding to handle that.

5. Another concern mentioned was humidity and temperature changes from the outside and inside that might affect the wooden case. Do I need to keep my room at a specific temp range to preserve the case in neat condition?

6. A single comment stated that there were possibilities of electronic devices on the surface of the case sending a current to the inside of the case affect the hardware.

- I guess that is it for now, unless someone mentions something I have overlooked about the concerns of building a wooden case. I would like to hear of people who have had experience with wooden cases, and wood in general. Not, just biased comments. Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Seeing as it is perfectly fine to run a PC with the side panel off, or on an open test bench, wood vs alu is not a concern

2. All plastic or all wood cases have been built, with nary a spark.

3. Just keep air moving through the case, and you'll be fine.

4. Non concern, but up to you

5. Non concern, unless you build it with a freshly cut down tree that is still moist.

6. Non issue.

People have built PC's inside of desks, or all plastic, or all wood cases.
Design, build, enjoy. Oh, and post pics of this when you're done.

^ 100@ what USAFRet says above .

Point 4 - wood is much more soundproof than aluminium or steel .
I've seen 3 or 4 wooden cases in my time & if they're done well they are incredibly quiet.

& as you've already mentioned it is far far easier to buy a cheap case , cut out the motherboard tray & drive cages & use them internally than try & make your own mounting solutions.

This one looks pretty cool. Only thing that worries me is cases were made of metal to reduce RF interferance. You may could do somthing like this and take out the guts of a case like motherboard back plate, drive hangers, and power button.
diy-wood-computer-louis-vanwalleghem-picture14.jpg

aureux

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

And in your opinion which wood material should be used to build a wooden case?

USAFRet

Titan

That depends completely on what you want it to look like.
Teak, bamboo (actually a grass), tigerwood, zebra...

How exotic do you want to get?

If it were me, I'd build 2.
One initial, of cheap pine. Just to get the look and measurements correct.
Once satisfied, then build the real one out of whatever you want.