Why does my internet only work on one OS?

achan070

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
My main SSD is W7. I recently got another SSD to boot W10 on, but the internet for the W10 doesn't work. UNLESS I do reset modem and do the ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew, then the internet works. However once I boot back to the W7, the internet for that no longer works, unless I again do the same thing. Basically the internet won't work for both OS. I have to do those weird tricks to get it to work. Why is this and how can I fix this? (Using Ethernet cable modem, no router).

achan070

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
i prefer to not get a router, i just been using my modem cause internet is just for me

will static ip's fix this? i don't know how to go about that.

what is the best thing to do to resolve this?

go into command prompt and type ipconfig. This will give you your IPv4 address, Subnet mask, and default gateway.

Depending on your ISP provider your IPv4 and default gateway can change. At home i use comcast and its default ip and gateway are 10.0.0.x while at work we use 192.168.1.x so you will need to know exactly what your using.

1)For windows 7 down in the bottom right by the clock will be a network icon.
2)Right click on it and click on open network and sharing center
3)in the middle of the page will say view your active networks, click on Local Area Connections on the right and a new window will open up.
4)click on properties, a second window will open up, Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 ( will highlight blue) and click properties just below the window.
5) in the 3rd new window click on the Use the following IP address and then fill in the boxes from what was given to you in command prompt.

for example..... these are my settings at work, yours will be different
IP address 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Then for preferred DNS server use 8.8.8.8

Windows 10 you can follow the same steps
Say you use 192.168.1.10 for windows 7, then use 192.168.1.11 for window 10

If you ever run into issues you can always just click the Obtain an IP address automatically and your modem will then assign you a ip address.

USAFRet

Titan

1 person in the house or 20...you still need a router.
This device functions as a traffic cop between you and the outside world.

Connecting direct to your modem (make/model?) is like you standing in your front yard.
Everyone can 'see' you. And attack you.
With a router, it is like being inside the house, with the front door closed and locked. Only that data that you request gets in.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Agreed.

AlexianaBritmonkey

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017

Recommending is the key, because using the same IP over multiple MAC's won't turn out all that great, obviously.