Are these monitors a good choice?

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I'm starting school for Digital Media / Design and I need new monitors, this is what I've found so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (This will replace my main gaming monitor)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NZTKOQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (This will be my design monitor for color accuracy.)

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the Dell, however it's the best 24" IPS 1080p monitor I can seem to find.

I do not mind 1080p and I heard anything about 24" for 1080p looks blury. I also do not have the desk space for a large 4k display.

So bottom line, are these good choices? If not, I could really use suggestions ASAP as school starts very soon. I also want to try and stay below $300 per display.

Regards,

EDIT: I forgot to add they must be 100 x 100 VESA mountable due to limited desk space.

Solution
You won't even pay attention to the curve that close.

Gaming - If you want gsync, S2417DG price isn't too far off and offers 1440p rather than the asus at 1080p. 165hz to 180hz is too small to matter. There's also a 27" version for a little more.

The dell can't be beat at that price. Anything better is $400+.

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
That doesn't look bad, Samsung has some nice panels however I don't know how I feel about curved I have't experienced that. Besides all that, it doesn't look as if it's VESA compatible? Unfortunately I need that due to my lack of space :(

EDIT: Okay, so it looks like it does support VESA. I'm still torn on the curved aspect however.

EDIT 2: Okay so it looks like it's 75 x 75 VESA mounting pattern, I currently own 100 x 100 mounts, the specs of this monitor are undeniable however I don't know if it will work for me do you know of any others with similar specs?

Duncan_94

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
I can only speak for the high refresh rate monitor. If you have never experienced it you are in for a treat. 144Hz, 1ms response is exactly what you want. I have a BenQ XL2430T which is essentially the same thing. Make you have a DVI or display port cable (if the monitor doesn't come with one) as HDMI does not support 120/144Hz.

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I like the Samsung purely because it's good for gaming and has a respectable color reproduction with 8bit color and 120% sRGB coverage so it seems I could use them for both gaming and color sensitive work.

I'm just cautious about the reviews, furthermore since they're curved I'm curious if it will be odd to view unless I'm directly center?

As for VESA mounting, my mounts have holes for both 100 x 100 and 75 x 75 mounting, I already have them mounted on my wall and don't wish to change. I'm just hoping my mounting plate fits.

Reviews aren't bad and it's always bias with less. I wouldn't have suggested it if it didn't support vesa as you mentioned. The samsung site says wall mount 75x75 but I am seeing reviews stating it as 100x100. Unfortunately, the selection of va monitors is still small and even more so for high hz. The curve will be better especially with multiple monitors. It's not like a deep curve, it's only slight. How far away would you sit from it?

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I sit about two feet or less from my main monitor, the one on my right has to be angled inwards which is just under two feet from my normal sitting position.

I was thinking on holding off getting my UPS and DAC so I can spend a little more money and get these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4II4M4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3LWKTZF2T3VLM&psc=1 (Gaming)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0LDXTL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (Design, I like this because it's a nice compromise being at 2k since most professionals design in 4k.)

I feel the Swift will be nice because of GSync, I'm going to be buying a GTX 1080 with both of these displays. What do you think?

You won't even pay attention to the curve that close.

Gaming - If you want gsync, S2417DG price isn't too far off and offers 1440p rather than the asus at 1080p. 165hz to 180hz is too small to matter. There's also a 27" version for a little more.

The dell can't be beat at that price. Anything better is $400+.

Solution

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I'll consider the S2417DG, since you say it's hard to notice the difference between 165 to 180.

Also are you saying the U2515Hx can't be beat at that price so that's a good pick?

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I just read too many general mixed reviews on the quality control of the curved Samsung and how it performs at 144hz and I'm not as familiar with Samsung as I am with Asus and Dell.

Regards,

Evanonian

Reputable
May 24, 2014
No I didn't read Amazon reviews specifically it was a mixture of that along with other sites, it's not a bad monitor, I've heard a lot of good and bad things equally. I know newer models are better than the originals.

"Units made before November 2016 suffer from purple overdrive artifacts (overshoot ghosting) while units made after suffer from more black, grown and grey color streaking, but it's very minor and will likely only bother the most experienced 144hz monitor owners."

I used a forum post from here http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15713-best-144hz-240hz-monitors.html

I also used reddit, linus tech tips and YouTube videos etc, I'm not one to blindly follow reviews without cross referencing facts, this Samsung panel gets a lot of praise so it's a respectable suggestion. However, regardless of that I decided to go GSync anyways, that's my main reason for not getting it.

With that being said if I chose to go Asus PG248Q or Dell S2417DG with the Dell U2515Hx do you think those are good choices, in your opinion?