Multi Monitor Support?

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I just built a computer and I have two monitors to use it on. The monitors only work if i use the graphics card HDMI port which will only turn one of them on. I can switch between the motherboard HDMI and the graphics card HDMI but it won't let me use both at once (That I know of). Any suggestions help. I'm using the Gigabyte GA-Z27OXP-SLI motherboard and the an MSI Graphics Card (I'm not sure which one)

Thanks

Solution
I found the answer. I needed to download the graphics card drivers. Then I needed to change the main hdmi output from the graphics card to the motherboard. Thanks for everyone's help though.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
For the most part, you cannot run iGPU and GPU at the same time. Your BIOS effectively disables one or the other depending on which one is plugged in, or what your BIOS settings are configured to. This is to prevent potential hardware and software conflicts.

Only some motherboard BIOS allow both to run at the same time, but my awareness is there aren't many that do anymore. You are best searching in your BIOS to see if it has this feature, but I HIGHLY doubt it. You'd have to choose one or the other.

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

I saw in the BIOS that I can change the BIOS, could I somehow change this to a different motherboard's BIOS (If I can find it) to have multi monitor support or would this clash with the motherboard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Not really. It is possible with very specific, certain parameters. But for the most part, your BIOS is made to work with YOUR motherboard / BIOS chip. And attempting to flash with another BIOS can cause all manner of problems, as far as making the motherboard completely inoperable.

And I'm not quite sure by what setting you saw of 'Change the BIOS' - asides updating the BIOS.

Get a display port to hdmi adapter or dvi to hdmi.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Check your system BIOS.
Go under the Chipset Tab and check to see if Internal Graphics is set to Enabled.

If it is and you're not getting a signal, then graphics card is over-riding this setting. If it's set to Disabled, set it to Enabled and try again.

-Wolf sends

P.S. Pg 34 of your Motherboard's User Manual

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

I have enough hdmi ports, but the problem is that the bios says that I can only pick one port to use as the monitor.

What?
Your gpu will support up to how many monitors that it can no matter what port you use. The same goes for your motherboard. You just can't use both at the same time in your case.

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

I tried that but it didn't work. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make it so that I can use two though. I don't want this second monitor to go to waste.

Wolfshadw

Titan
From what you've told us, your BIOS does not allow you to use your graphics card and your on-board (motherboard) graphics at the same time. This means you will need to connect your second monitor to your graphics card as well. If your second display has an HDMI input, you can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, as Jaslion states, and connect your second display, from your graphics card using that.

BIOS is telling you, you can only use on-board graphics or a discrete card. Your discrete card will run at least three displays, simultaneously.

-Wolf sends

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

The BIOS only lets me use one output, meaning that the dvi and dp outputs will do the same as the other outputs

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes. BIOS will only let you use one on-board graphics output. However you have a discrete graphics card which over-rides that. Connect your displays to the graphics card and forget what BIOS is telling you about your on-board graphics.

-Wolf sends

nathanmullen8686

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I found the answer. I needed to download the graphics card drivers. Then I needed to change the main hdmi output from the graphics card to the motherboard. Thanks for everyone's help though.

Solution