Black screen of death

ah3nderson

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
So I build my first PC about a year and a half ago. My OS was saved to my SSD, along with a lot of other things. I recently purchased a new HDD and I tried to move all that was on the SSD tô that HDD. That royally messed up everything. I did the best I could to move back at least the OS to the SSD, and that helped a lot, however I lost some random functionalities. I tried to restore and reset the PC and wipe everything off the SSD and HDDs, but it would get to about 50% of the reset and quit and say it ran into an error and nothing was changed. I tried different ways to reset without wiping too. All with no luck. I finally gave up and shut my computer off. When I tried the next morning to use it, upon power up it would show my Gigabyte screen then go to a black screen (without cursor). It just sits there. Ive tried to boot with different drives, gone and toyed with the BIOS and still nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.

ah3nderson

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
The solution was in fact, reinstalling Windows 10. However, it wasn't very cooperative. I put the Windows 10 CDROM in, and booted up on my optical drive. It went through the normal download setup. When it finished the download of windows 10, it went to a black screen again. I tried it again, and while I was going through the download settings for the second time, I decided to format both my HDD's and my SSD. For whatever reason this format temporarily corrupted those drives and the OS wouldnt even let me select any of those drives to download to. I took all my drives out of my housing, hooked them up to another working PC (on top of that PC's drives) and reformatted them through 'Disk Management". Once they showed that they were healthy, I installed them back into my PC and tried the OS download again. Sure enough, worked like a charm. Moral of the story: There were corrupted files on both my HDD's and my SSD causing the issues. Would not move forward with any troubleshooting until they were all formatted correctly through a seperate, working PC's Disk Management.