Random Freeze/BSOD/Reset after Driver Install, Did Restore to No Effect

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hello All,
I've referred to the information on these forums on many an occasion. This time around however, I've not been able to get a good read on a solution from the discussions I've looked over. I am currently experiencing significant issues with my desktop running Windows 10. After upgrading to the latest graphics driver and Realtek Sound Driver/Application, I've been experiencing unexpected freezes, shutdowns, BSOD (with varied stop errors), and hard restarts.
I am hoping someone has an idea on how I might proceed. My current installation of Windows is a bit entrenched. It will be extremely inconvenient to do a clean reinstall from installation media. I am willing to do it, but I am quite dissapointed even thinking of going there. It would be the option of true last resort.
I have rolled back the drivers using system restore from a week before the upgrade. This did nothing for me. The problem still persists.
To describe the issue in detail. The computer will engage in full system freezes, hard resets, BSOD (with a couple of exceptions generated such as Watchdog timeout errors and system exception). This occurs when the computer is in use. I have gotten into the habit of leaving my computer on for days without restarting. When the computer is just sitting there with open programs such as chrome and firefox, with many tabs open, there are no issues. I'll find the pages still open hours later. However, if I engage in any signficant web browsing or work on the computer of various sorts (watching videos using VLC or using the word processor for a long time) the computer will freeze, etc.

I had suspected driver issues, but thought the system restore would have taken care of that. I am wondering about hardware issues, but my computer was otherwise fine and not prone to the slightest hiccup for months. The timing of the start of these issues is suspect to me. As for the power supply failing, wouldn't it turn off totally at random? Why does everything happen when I use the computer for any lengthy period of time ( usually I can get an hour or two before the reset/freeze occurs).
I hope someone has an idea as to how I might proceed.

My system specs are:
AMD FX 8350 8@ 4Ghz Not overclocked
16 GB RAM in Two Sticks
MOBO ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2
Radeon R9 390
3 TB HDD and 500 GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (Windows Installation is on SSD)
EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 Watt SuperNova G2
RAZER USB Peripherals
Hardwire ethernet connection
Output to 1 HDMI monitor, 1 DVI monitor

Case is well ventilated with 1 Large exhaust, 1 Regular exhaust and 2 regular intakes
Additionally, large aftermarket CPU fan is attached.

Solution
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let anyone who comes across this later that the issue seems to have solved itself. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that a recent update to the graphics driver for my R9 390 probably had something to do with it. Guess the bleeding edge is exactly that. A thank you to everyone who took the time to assist!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here

someone with right software to read them will decode the files and help us help you fix it :)

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Apparently I actually have a couple of dump files from the various times the system crashed. The BSOD don't always spit out the same error. In any case, I've posted them in order from most recent to oldest.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgUYWfy9FRorlZhRO

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgUgtUuLW8c7aFpR-

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgUds4K0bhp_mlZkd

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgUVAa4I6RhjB1nZK

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgUl1v7s7WYrhA9i6

Thank you again for your consideration. I appreciate your efforts to lend a hand.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/iHQ5LNU1

File: 081217-11906-01.dmp (Sat Aug 12 19:04:23 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffffb50f01ea0028, b6000000, 100153}
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: vprot.exe)

File: 081217-11515-01.dmp (Sat Aug 12 01:52:16 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)] {c0000005, fffff80094084ba2, ffffe5002b2c5e70, 0}
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)

File: 081217-12234-01.dmp (Sat Aug 12 01:51:12 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffffbb0fc8c50028, b0800000, 40151}
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: firefox.exe)

File: 081117-11609-01.dmp (Fri Aug 11 01:58:48 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)] {c0000005, fffff8013bc6dc94, ffffdd018d360e30, 0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)

File: 081217-12046-01.dmp (Sat Aug 12 21:07:23 2017)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)] {ffffffffc0000005, fffff803d84cfc94, 0, ffffffffffffffff}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: vprot.exe)
I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
vprot.exe = AVG (might help to remove AVG until we figure out cause, it is likely to be an older driver tripping it up.)

old drivers that could be cause
npf.sys (Dated Fri Jun 25 2010) - NetGroup Packet Filter driver, a component of WinPCap by Riverbed
amwrtdrv.sys (Dated Tue Dec 25 2012) - Aomei BackUpper driver
FSPFltd.sys (Dated Thu Jun 5 2008) - Hide Folders 2009 file encryption driver << way too old, remove
ndisrd.sys (Dated Wed Feb 20 2013) - Mionet driver/ or WinpkFilter high performance packet filtering framework (??)
nxfs.sys (Dated Mon Feb 24 2014) - NoMachine Disk File System Adapter Driver - update No machine Microphone audio drivers
remove/replace Asus AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 or PC Probe 2 (based on presence of asIO.sys dated Wed Aug 22 2012)
Remove AI Charger (dated Wed Apr 18 2012)
update/remove DAEMON tools 2015

Might want to update HWINFO, its from 2015

might not be newer versions
amd_sata.sys (dated Wed Apr 11 2012) - AMD SATA Controller AHCI Device Driver
asstor64.sys (Dated Tue Jun 16 2015) - Asmedia ASM-106x Sata 6G controller
amd_xata.sys (Dated Wed Apr 11 2012) - AMD Stor Filter Driver
usbfilter.sys (Dated Tue Aug 28 2012) - AMD USB Filter driver

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hey There,

In the past week I've attempted to address the problems brought up (trying to update the old drivers, uninstalling junk programs, and removing AVG). Unfortunately, my computer is still experiencing BSODs, hard resets, and freezing. The new minidump files being generated are also, weirdly, not copyable (access denied)

I'm wondering if this might be due to my own inexperience. I'm actually not quite sure how to manually update some of the drivers.

I removed avg

The npf.sys for winpcap is associated with my powerline adapter, which has been particularly fussy over the years. I have never got it to work without that particular driver, that said, I wouldn't know how to remove it anyhow.

I tried to update Aomei amwtdrv.sys by uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy of Aomei. Wasn't sure what else to do. I'd remove it outright if that helps.

FSPFltd.sys, I'm not sure where to remove that from. What device would that be?

Same for ndisrd.sys the mionet driver winpkfilter

i uninstalled no machine. I'm hoping that got rid of the driver altogether.

Removed ai suite, gpu tweak, and pc robe 2

removed daemon tools

removed hwinfo

ran driver booster and the amd_sata.sys asstor64.sys and amd_Xata.sys and usbfilter.sys don't show up. will i need to look for these manually. I'm not sure where to look for updated drivers. are these generic to all amd chipsets or are they particular to the model number of my motherboard?do i find them on the manufacturers website? the motherboard manufacturer or amd?

I do apologize for the cluelessness of the question. I would gladly read up on any material to try and understand what is going on (how to remove drivers not specific to a particular piece of hardware). Just not sure what to google into google. Was wondering if a program like driver view from nirsoft would tell me if the drivers I tried removing are still there.

If someone could also assist me with getting my latest minidump files posted here, I was hoping they might show what the culprit was by isolation of variables. Unfortunately the last few minidumps created will not copy. Terracopy is giving me an access denied error.

Thanks a whole lot guys. I really appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You not only one who doesn't know half the drivers :)

The fspfltd.sys file is the process called FSPro File System Filter used by the application FSPro File System Filter created by FSPro Labs. https://fspro.net/

getting conflicting returns on ndisrd.sys as it could be a trojan or part of windows. I would run an anti virus scan just to be sure

You could run this as it allows you to see what is running at startup and might let you identify what these files are tied to:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

overall, the system bugchecked because of a cache error inside the CPU.
this is likely to be a heating problem. or a power fluctuation to the CPU.

blow the dust out of the fans, (CPU, GPU, and PSU) monitor voltages and temps
(make sure do not have any GPU or CPU overclocking drivers installed)

-------------
generally, the only drivers that could cause a bugcheck 0x124 would be overclock drivers that tweak CPU voltages.

for this error you would update the BIOS to get the most stable default voltages, clock frequencies and timings for your motherboard. Or reset the BIOS to defaults if you are already up to date.

the bugcheck memory dump: look at the system up timer: if it shows less than 15 seconds then your machine rebooted because of a power condition detected by the motherboard protection logic.
but the power supply was not stable then the CPU restarted. (fix the power condition that caused the reboot)

for longer than 15 seconds system up timer, check for overclocking drivers, check the clock rate the cpu is currently running at. Check the BIOS date and make sure it is newer than the CPU release date.

generally for longer than 15 second up time, the problem is overheating related.
------------
for your bugcheck:
System Uptime: 0 days 16:34:52.538
info from !errrec ffffb50f01ea0028 command

Instr. Set : x64
Error Type : Cache error
Operation : Instruction Execute
Error : ICACHELG_IRD_ERR (Proc 4 Bank 1)

info from
!sysinfo smbios
BIOS Version 2501
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 04/07/201
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 4000MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Colif,
I appreciate the added insight. I'll try your suggestion with regards to virus scan and startup.

Johnbl,
Thanks for your take on this. That said, I hope you could understand why I really don't want this to be some failing bit of hardware (Don't really have extra components I can test with) I don't feel like I skimped on my components, especially my power supply...
Just wanting it not to be so won't change anythying, I agree. Still, my computer has been entirely stable for months, maybe over a year or so. It hasn't done this before at all.. then suddenly.. the freezes start occuring every two or three hours of use.
They also don't occur, ever, when I'm not using the computer (like overnight or when I leave the house for a few hours) and the programs just sit open on the screen. It's only when I use the computer for any sustained period of time that I get these crashes, freezes, and bsod. If the powersupply started failing, would the onset of issues be so sudden.
I have also never done any overclocking on any of the components in my system. The bios is the most up to date version offered by the manufacturer.

I was however wondering how I could check for this system up time/timer. Do i need to check the minidump file? Where on the minidump? do i search for the line that says up timer? I'm actually a bit confused how this could assess whether the power is fluctuating. I thought the system up timer tells you how long the cpu has been on in one stretch. Are you saying that when the power fluctuates the CPU turns off and the system up timer resets? Does that mean that if the system up timer on the dump file is less than fifteen seconds that the CPU reset due to a power fluctuation?
That last bit you showed "for your bugcheck" is this from the minidump I uploaded or is it an example your showing me?
It says system up time 16:34:52.538
Is that 16 hours, 34 minutes, 52. 538 seconds? If it says < 00:00:15.blah then it would be a power issue correct?
If you could let me know if I understood correctly, I would be all the more grateful.Thank you so much for your continued support.

gardenman

Splendid

Each minidump file gives you a "system uptime" which shows how long your PC was running before it crashed. Its measured in Days Hours:Minutes:Seconds.Milliseconds (1000 per second).

If you look at the document that I posted here: https://pastebin.com/iHQ5LNU1
you will see this for each dump file.

===============================
=== Dump File: 081217-11906-01.dmp ===
===============================
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available
Windows 10 Kernel Version 15063 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Kernel base = 0xfffff801`67614000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff801`679605c0
Debug session time: Sat Aug 12 19:04:23.815 2017 (UTC - 4:00)

It's usually about the 5th line down for each dump file.

16 hours, 34 minutes, 52 seconds, 538 milliseconds (1000 per second).

This is from your PC, your dump file, not an example. Note that when your PC is put to sleep, it is still considered to be running.

There was 5 dump files listed in that document:
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:29.071
System Uptime: 0 days 3:39:18.841
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:07.669
System Uptime: 0 days 2:02:24.522

16+hours, 29 seconds, 3+hours, 1minute, 2+hours. It might be possible that the 29 seconds and 1 minute are heat releated, I'm not sure, you will have to ask johnbl.

johnbl or Colif will have to answer the rest of the questions you asked, I hope this helps. Wait for their replies.

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
gardenman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I think I have a better understanding of what is going on.

I still have the issue of not being able to post more recent .dmp files to this forum. I can't seem to copy,read, or generally access them from the /minidump folder they are in. I try to copy them, or cut them to a different folder and get an access denied error. How might I resolve this? I was hoping to compare the earlier dump files to the newer ones to see if similar causes are leading to the issues I'm having. Since posting the first batch of .dmp files, I have tried doing some work on removing junk/old programs and updating drivers.

*Edit: I figured out how to open dump files using the windows debugger tool. I can open the old dump files I posted to this forum, but the new ones, they still say access denied.

sometimes people are playing a game and say that they got a bugcheck 0x124
you look at the system up timer in this case so you can tell if they got a bugcheck 0x124
or they got a CPU reset then a bugcheck 0x124.

bugcheck 0x124 with a system up timer longer that 5 to 15 seconds most likely means too much power was used on the graphics card slot.
(too much power pulled from the GPU slot, then the motherboard logic resets the CPU, then the CPU should not restart until the power is stable. Problem is the PSU should send a signal to the motherboard that the power is ok BUT many PSU fake the signal and lie so the motherboard starts the CPU when the power to too low. This causes the CPU cache memory to generate errors, then the CPU cache controller detects the error and it then Calls a bugcheck. this whole process can take 2 or 3 seconds. To know the CPU rebooted you look at the system up timer and it will be under 15 seconds on a slow system and it might be 1 second on a fast system.

for your case: longer than 15 seconds, (or 16 hours) you would make sure you don't have a heating problem. (assumes you don't have a program/ driver tweaking voltages on the GPU or CPU)

Heating, overclocking drivers, voltage fluctuations can cause bugcheck 0x124
really no other drivers would normally cause bugcheck 0x124 (I have heard of virus/rootkits that fake a bugcheck 0x124 to avoid detection)

Here are some other causes related to power:
problems with the computer plugged into a surge protector.
I have talked to on person who would get bugcheck 0x124 when his computer was on the same circuit as a motor (in his case his machine would bugcheck 0x124 when his refrigerator motor kicked on)

gardenman

Splendid

Haha ""Everytime I grab a beer my computer crashes!""

I would open the minidump folder and right click on one of the old files and look at the Properties / Security tab. Do the same for one of the new files. See if you can change the security settings to match the old files that you can open. See links below for more info.

See if one of these two (old) pages can help you access your minidump files:
https://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/271613-help-blue-screen-cannot-open-minidump-file.html

Note: I don't recommend changing your UAC settings. If you do, be sure to change it back to how it was once your done. http://www.overclock.net/t/1197875/windows-7-minidumps-and-permisions-headache

Another idea: Open Windows Explorer, with Administrative privileges and then attempt to copy the files to your desktop. Search for Windows Explorer in Start menu search box, and the right-click the program name. Select Run As Administrator.

If you can get to the minidump files, upload them so I can get an updated driver list from them.

johnbl gave you a list of things to try too, I would listen to him carefully. Even temporarily remove your surge protector if you have one.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't cut/paste from minidumps as you don't have permission to do that. You should be able to copy/paste them though and then open the copy, that is why I always suggest that step in my instructions

another choice is use ubuntu and copy the minidumps as linux cares not for what windows wants.

Could removing GPU at least remove it from the suspect parts list, if the bsod still occur?

need to work out what isn't causing the errors, so removing card is a start. d/c anything not essential for running PC.

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hey All,
I'm quite obliged by your continued support. Please know that I appreciate everyone's assistance greatly. I've managed to figure out how to get the access denied error to go away. I owe gardenman's suggestion a great deal. I apologize for the timings of my post. I've had to run my computer with the crashes during the work week just to get by ( I hope this is ok. I wonder if having this many system resets will damage my components?).
Anyhow, I'm gonna try some stuff the next few days to get closer to a fix.
-----------------------
For anyone who had this particular problem of Access Denied on Minidump folder:
Was able to forcibly take ownership by going to the offending files, clicking properties, clicking security, clicking Advanced, clicking change, typing in "Administrator", clicking check names, clicking ok, then clicking enable inheiritance, then clicking apply, then ok. Reloading the properties menu, then using file as normal.
------------------
From Newest to Earliest Event. Please let me know if you would rather I post the actual dump files to the forum for your consideration. From our past discussion, I gathered this information was the important stuff.
0 Days
101 Unknown Image 00:06:13.453
3B ntkrnlmp.exe 0:01:07.669
1000007E ntkrnlmp.exe 19:30:15.507
124 AuthenticAMD 0:05:45.502
3B win32kbase.sys 07:06:37.888
101 Unknown Image Inconclusive 0:20:22.079
124 Authentic AMD 19:07:45.744
124 Authentic AMD 0: 50:11.350
1E ntkrnlmp.exe 2:02:24.522
124 Authentic AMD 16:35:52.538
3B ntkrnlmp.exe 29.071 s
124 Authentic AMD 3:39:18.841

One particularly troublesome issue, is that I am no longer getting BSODs or hard automatic system resets. I only get straight up hangs/freezes that require me to press the reset button to restart my system. What to do? What to try? Doesn't not having BSOD info pose a particular problem?

With regards to the actual troubleshooting. I seem to be getting a number of AutheticAMD/bugcheck 124 related errors.
John, I was hoping you might condescend in explaining the bit in your post about the gpu drawing to much power. I wasn't clear on that. Does that situation apply to me? or were you just stating it as an aside, or an FYI? From what you're saying about the system up timer showing above 5 seconds (isn't that my case?) or are you saying that the system uptimer in that case would be BETWEEN 5 - 15 seconds. I apologize for splitting hairs, I'm kinda clueless. Guess I'm jumping to conclusions, what with the AuthenticAMD popping up a bunch of times.
Colif, If I remove my dedicated graphics card, I'm assuming I should test with a different one right? Obviously I won't have any display options without a card as my mobo has no integrated option. Sorry to ask, just wanted to be sure. As mentioned previously, I'm an idiot.

From what you were saying john, I gather that you think I need to work on any heating issues ( that is if the GPU isn't the issue).
Shouldn't my system reset if I have a heating issue? It actually used to do that in the first few days after I built it. I got a larger third party cpu fan to replace the dinky amd manufacturer one and the problem symptoms never reappeared for almost two years.
by the way, is there any program that I can use to log my temperatures up till the feeze? right now i use coretemp (but it has to use the crappy amd sensors that or not actually on the chip) and it doesnt save a graph so when the system inevitably crashes I miss the temp spike ( if it actually was even there).

I moved my computers cable from the surge protector to the wall. Hopefully that works. . Will update on status. I am currently using my computer with my razer keyboard and mouse, my Kio USB dac, an ethernet hard connection, a hdmi output, and a dvi output.

also came across a utility called driver verifier on the MS website. is this an option for me? Similarly a utility called proc dump to monitor system hangs/freezes.

If none of this works, will I need to run a voltage test on the rails of my PSU? If I have a defective psu, do you think merely describing this issue would be enough for a warranty replacement?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think the dumps will help as John can get more info out of them. Your uptimes (if that is what the timer after your error codes means) are sure longer than the ones Gardenman found. Never noticed WHEA errors can recognise AMD as well as Intel CPU

I wouldn't rush to run driver verifer, it can leave you in a boot loop. There are ways out of the loop but they don't always work.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Uninstall your video drivers with DDU and then install current drivers. Update your BIOS to be safe. Do not run driver verifier or any of those driver programs. They are more trouble than they are worth

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Many Thanks All,

I appreciate everyone sticking with me on this. I'm going to go ahead and use DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD/Radeon related grahphics drivers, then install the newest update ( one was released in the last two or three days, hopefully it does some good). I am currently at my most current bios version. None else seem to be available on the manufacturer website. I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to use any other website for something of that sort.

Link below is to my minidump repository. A special thank you to John for his continued assistance.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgjO_IX5QOyjyhplh

Colif, I'll be sure to avoid driver verifier for the time being. I had noticed that in the disclaimer portion of the software download. Was pretty sure something like that was a good reason to avoid unless explicitly suggested to dabble in it.

With regards, to the system uptimes, I thought I got the same times as gardenman. I only added a couple of new instances that have happened since. These are only the BSOD cases though. In the last week or so, more than half are straight up hangs/freezes. Generally when the crashes/freezes/bsod happen, they occur hours apart. 15 or 20 times in this category I'd say. Only in three cases did I have any within ten minutes of each other.

Update: Trying to boot into safe mode using shift restart, get to the screen where I press a number to enter safe mode with or without networking, etc. Screen doesn't respond to key press. System shuts down. I'll be trying to use msconfig or system restore method but I just wanted to post this in case its a relevant symptom.

Further update: Managed to boot in safe mode using msconfig. Used ddu, rebooted in safemode to try and install new graphics driver package, got error 99 associated with unsigned drivers. tried to reboot with driver signature verification off using the same previously unresponsive menu method (from the safe mode fiasco previously). it is still unresponsive.

tried using bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on to disable. said operation successful but the installer spits out the same error. what to do? i now have no graphics driver. I'll try the next older one. hope that works.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/NhPA4T3W

I've included the System Uptimes for these:
File: 082617-11171-01.dmp (Sat Aug 26 15:42:58 2017)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)] {18, 0, ffffce815ab40180, 7}
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: chrome.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:06:13.453

File: 082217-10843-01.dmp (Tue Aug 22 20:33:23 2017)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)] {18, 0, ffff9f8121740180, 7}
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: chrome.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:43.453

File: 082117-11484-01.dmp (Mon Aug 21 20:18:05 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)] {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80029a5fc94, ffff95808a3716e8, ffff95808a370f30}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
System Uptime: 0 days 19:30:15.507

File: 082017-11703-01.dmp (Mon Aug 21 00:47:12 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffffce8ebdcd5028, b0800000, 40151}
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: chrome.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:05:45.502

File: 082017-11437-01.dmp (Mon Aug 21 00:40:10 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)] {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8036e49f468, ffff8900b4086478, ffff8900b4085cc0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:51:09.133

File: 082017-11390-01.dmp (Sun Aug 20 23:48:26 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)] {c0000005, fffff8001ea50c94, ffffe601f27e3700, 0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 7:06:37.888

File: 081517-11656-01.dmp (Tue Aug 15 19:10:01 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffff800c60e85028, b0800000, 40151}
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: chrome.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 19:07:45.744

File: 081517-11421-01.dmp (Wed Aug 16 00:43:47 2017)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)] {18, 0, ffffa801978c1180, 6}
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: RzSurroundVADS)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:20:22.079

File: 081417-11953-01.dmp (Tue Aug 15 00:01:38 2017)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)] {0, ffffb388d2659028, b0800000, 40151}
Probably caused by: AuthenticAMD (Process: firefox.exe)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:50:11.350
I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The current dump still shows this:

Aug 22 2012 - AsIO.sys - Asus Input Output driver
Aug 02 2010 - AsUpIO.sys - Asus Update Input Output Driver

so you still have some Asus on there and the ASIO.sys is known to cause errors like the WHEA, especially if driver is old like yours.

What razer gear are you running? Can it run without synapse? Have you updated synapse?

you cannot install gpu drivers in safe mode, they won't work

You shouldn't need to download anything for the driver verifer, its built into windows.

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I now can't install any version of the AMD drivers. I'm getting error 99 associated with Driver Signature Enforcement. I've tried disabling it in command prompt. The command prompt says the operation was successful, but I still can't install the driver, even on a graphics driver from 3 months back - the last "mandatory" update. I'm going to try to use the advanced startup menu again, but I don't think I'll be getting any response. it hasn't worked the last few times. I really hope someone has an idea of what I should do now...

Edit: Whoops, thanks for the heads up on the installation colif. Don't know how I missed that little detail in all my reading. I'll update the drivers and check razer synapse for updates. I have one of those razer mice, think its the deathadder (not too many buttons). The keyboard I'll check and update. Any suggestion on how I might actually remove those old drivers from asus would be a great help. I thought they would go with the AI suite uninstall from add and remove programs (etc).

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its not too painful an idea, I would fresh install win 10 as then you don't have abstract Asus files running, and it might fix a stack of the errors you are experiencing. Those Asus files could be cause of most of the errors... or some anyway. Fresh start means all new drivers.

if you can't get into windows, is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
Also, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

hitspace001

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hey All,
Got the graphics driver installed. Thank you Colif. Like I said, I'm an idiot. That particularly bit of stupidity won't happen again.
I'm uploading an image from my add and remove programs menu. Please let me know if I should get rid of them. My current assumption was that these were vital to system operation. I'll toss them if ya'll say so.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtNIkdy2NEnsgjSBdckkCTyL8cAm
After looking at the last pastebin link, I notice that when I installed the newest version of Aomei, it installed an old driver again. I'll probably uninstall that if someone recommends it to be so.

FSPFltd.sys Don't know how to get rid of that
npf.sys is associated with my ethernet. I use an older powerline adapter and the winpcap was required to keep my internet operational.
AsUpIO.sys Dont know how to get rid of that
amd_sata.sys I can see its an old driver but I haven't been able to find an updated version
amd_xata.sys " "
AsIO.sys Don't know how to be rid of that
usbfilter.sys Not sure how to update the AMD USB filter driver
Aomei drivers Can remove via add and remove

Colif,
As I mentioned before, a full reinstall would be a painful, but possible. That said, I wonder how it will help exactly as I was under the impression that I had to install some form of motherboard driver. That was where all the Asus junk came in in the first place.
Wondering what drivers are absolutely required after a fresh install ( the ones that windows doesn't competantly take care of on its own) so I can avoid this mess.
Do I need realtek? I got a USB DAC recently. Do i even need to bother with the realtek drivers at all?... wait, if I don't install realtek, my headphone jacks won't work if I need them later on right?

If I install antivirus, should I get avast free instead of AVG free? You mentioned I needed to disable my antivirus. I wasn't sure if I should do that because of avg in particular or antivirus in general.
I can get into windows so i can get all my files out. Its just all the settings and random useful programs I've archived over the years. I've made it a practice of mine in the last few years to set up a separate folder under the c drive, i name it root, and just keep all my files there. that said, stuff could slip by if i got sloppy any time along the way and it'll take a while to double check that stuff doesn't get left behind. If i do decide to jump on the fresh install train, I'll be sorting through stuff for a day or two in preparation.

In terms of instructions, do you prefer USB or can i install from a dvd ?

If anyone has a recommended list of programs that they install on a fresh os, I would love to take a look. I have some programs I use frequently, but given that I've been having these issues, I'd appreciate anyone's alternatives. Any other best practices that I might take advantage of given a fresh install would be appreciated. I'll read any link you send my way. Thanks a bunch.