Is it safe to connect TV to my PC with HDMI Cable?

galin_don4ev

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
I was told that if i used an HDMI cable to connect my pc to my HDTV, the TV would break in some sort of way. Because i'm not an expert and i have little to no experience with PCs i dont know if thats true or not. The model of my TV is a Samsung T22C300 so if anyone can tell me if thats true or not i would greatly appreciate it!
also if i have a graphics card in my PC does it matter if i plug the monitor to the motherboard's or the card's port?

Solution
Whoever told you it will break your TV was either pulling your leg or just doesn't know any better.

If you've installed a graphics card then you must connect monitor or TV to that card since the integrated GPU (ie the motherboard graphics ports) are automatically disabled when you install a graphics card (this is to avoid driver & resource conflicts between the two GPUs).
Whoever told you it will break your TV was either pulling your leg or just doesn't know any better.

If you've installed a graphics card then you must connect monitor or TV to that card since the integrated GPU (ie the motherboard graphics ports) are automatically disabled when you install a graphics card (this is to avoid driver & resource conflicts between the two GPUs).

Solution

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
That would be perfectly normal. If you have dedicated graphics you will have to plug it into the dedicated graphics. Just another monitor with a bigger screen and a tuner for television. Lots of people do this.

USAFRet

Titan
PC to TV via HDMI is absolutely normal.
There are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of systems connected like that.
Including mine. Watching it right now. TV show via history.com, Firefox on the PC, HDMI to the TV.

Whoever told you that...I recommend taking everything else they say with a large grain of salt.