Monitor 'No Screen' even after cmos reset

jarekdiamond

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WzLYGf

So after reducing my build back to the basics- took out optical/hard drives don't have Video/sound cards yet; I left in the mobo, CPU, psu, RAM, basic wires, CPU fan, I'm still only getting 'no signal' from the monitor. The screen will give me good screen options, contrast, brightness, volume, gamer/eco modes, but still 'no signal' when hdmi is used (dp only other option, isn't compatible with mobo). I just tried 5 min reset on cmos (no switch I could find, just cleaned and replaced) and still no luck, also tried different hdmi, and mobo and fans and USB ports/on button work all just fine. And I tried to be really careful about static, removed socks, rugs, grounded self with metal pipe before each attempt, this is my first build and the monitor is brand new so.

Solution
Got it! So this article really really helped, very basic step by step http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2144-basic-pc-build-troubleshooting-steps-wont-boot. After I worried I shocked a part (even though I was exceedingly careful without a ground bracelet on) I realized I was missing the basics- I didn't have a video card. So when this piece recommended a bare-bones approach I realized obviously there would be no signal without graphics and probably bought myself the card I was thinking of- as a newb (first time ever) I didn't fully realize how essential it was. At least it made me read the manual I guess. Now after a couple hours and, realizing the windows activation code was under a scratch mark, my build is fully set up.

waltherj

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017

jarekdiamond

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the fast response. I tried three different HDMI cord and connecting the monitor to a TV, none of which worked. I have now found a lot of good info in the mobo manual (cmos does have a jumper). Also, while i dont have the sound beeper, I can use leds on mobo Instead.

jarekdiamond

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Tried cmos reset per manual's instructions, but didn't get anywhere (don't have proper jumper, used screw driver and paperclip techniques) the leds I mentioned only tell me I don't have a gpu in yet, which is intentional- I guess if I want to go the distance I could choose the gpu now even though I planned otherwise, and try to connect the hdmi through that.

jarekdiamond

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Got it! So this article really really helped, very basic step by step http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2144-basic-pc-build-troubleshooting-steps-wont-boot. After I worried I shocked a part (even though I was exceedingly careful without a ground bracelet on) I realized I was missing the basics- I didn't have a video card. So when this piece recommended a bare-bones approach I realized obviously there would be no signal without graphics and probably bought myself the card I was thinking of- as a newb (first time ever) I didn't fully realize how essential it was. At least it made me read the manual I guess. Now after a couple hours and, realizing the windows activation code was under a scratch mark, my build is fully set up.

Solution