How do I keep the free copy of W10 I upgraded to, when doing a factory reset on my laptop?

athenaisdreaming

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
I have a two fold question:
My laptop has been very buggy and sluggish for the last six months or so (it's about 2 years old). I've run Antivirus and Malware bytes scans, cleaned/removed any junk or unneccesary files and software, etc- and now, I want to do a factory reset, just to start fresh.

I've copied all the files I want to keep onto external memory and deleted the ones I don't, but I just realized that my laptop came with Windows8, and that I upgraded to W10 for free back when they were allowing anyone to.

I don't want to lose Windows 10, and to the best of my knowledge, it's no longer available online as a free upgrade. Is there any way for me to do this without losing Windows 10? Is it possible to make a copy of Windows 10 installed on my laptop, even though I didn't buy it, but got the free version? And if not....

Is there an alternative to the factory reset, that will keep W10? I really just want a clean slate, so to speak. (Please be easy with me, I'm not very tech-savvy, but I can follow directions) Thanks!

Solution
*RECOMMEND YOU PRINT THIS OUT FOR REFERENCE*

Above is correct. You should:

1. Create the W10 Install Media from Microsoft Site:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Do that on your laptop to a 8GB+ USB stick. It should choose the correct version of W10.
a) insert USB stick
b) download MS media creation tool and run it
c) wait for download and for it to create the USB stick

2) Prepare:
a) backup any needed data (other USB stick/HDD, other PC on local network..)
b) write down e-mail, passowords etc (*especially a W10 login like MSN e-mail + password)
c) write down names of programs to reinstall
d) *BE SURE BEFORE CONTINUING*

3) Boot into the BIOS so you can choose the USB stick as boot device
- varies by...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just download the new win 10 iso and install it. win 10 will activate itself since you already upgraded to it.

it's that simple, you won't lose your win 10 by reinstalling or doing the reset built into windows. you have a "digital license" and MS knows this and will activate it for you :)

*RECOMMEND YOU PRINT THIS OUT FOR REFERENCE*

Above is correct. You should:

1. Create the W10 Install Media from Microsoft Site:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Do that on your laptop to a 8GB+ USB stick. It should choose the correct version of W10.
a) insert USB stick
b) download MS media creation tool and run it
c) wait for download and for it to create the USB stick

2) Prepare:
a) backup any needed data (other USB stick/HDD, other PC on local network..)
b) write down e-mail, passowords etc (*especially a W10 login like MSN e-mail + password)
c) write down names of programs to reinstall
d) *BE SURE BEFORE CONTINUING*

3) Boot into the BIOS so you can choose the USB stick as boot device
- varies by laptop. some are POWER+F2, or just F2, or DEL, or F10 (may see it say on the screen when booting up). If stick GOOGLE your laptop or similar model.
- choose USB stick to boot in BIOS (may need to find change to 1st boot device then save if no "quick boot" option)

4) W10 install:
*Worth considering an SSD then put the HDD aside (i.e 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for about $90USD pcpartpicker if you use less than 200GB on C-drive partition now). Either way, continue...

a) DELETE all the HDD partitions (if one drive only) so it's just FREE space (will wipe out the W8 backup etc as you don't need that).
- or just use SSD if going that way
b) do NOT enter a KEY when prompted (it will auto-activate when network kicks in)
c) put in your LOGIN (i.e. MSN e-mail + password) when prompted
d) DRIVERS: may or may not need drivers such as extra video drivers. Ask if need help (W10 may install everything you need)

e) install programs from your list, setup e-mail etc.

5) If USB HDD, consider doing a backup with a tool like Acronis True Image once everything is setup (i.e. compressed backup, put aside in case you need to RESTORE backup. Will only restore to EXACT state of backup but handy to have.)

SUMMARY:
Seems tricky but not hard. Key is PLANNING.
Buying an SSD helps not only make it snappier in bootup, using slightly but allows you to keep the HDD in case you forget something at first, but also buy a 2.5" USB enclosure for $15 or so to make a backup image.

Solution
ALTERNATIVE OPTION:
1. Create the W10 Install media as per above
2. run "setup.exe" from it
3. let finish (if it asks to "KEEP DATA and APPLICATIONS" do so but it should be done by default with no choice)
4. do not enter key if prompted

This does a "W10 Upgrade" to itself which can replace any problematic files which could be causing you issues. There may be other reasons for your problems.

I'd try this FIRST and if it doesn't help do the long method above. This way is pretty safe.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the more in depth install info. rounded out the answer nicely

i prefer photonboy's alternative method myself when possible. works great and is nice and simple. but the first one works when you really got to start over. both give a clean fresh install and fixes issues.