Weird Resolution problem with dual monitors

blueman123

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Had set up: 2 Acer full hd Monitors, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 , running windows 10 pro.

Monitor one was connected via the VGA port on the back of the GeForce Card. Monitor 2 was connected via hdmi. Monitor 1 was set as the default monitor.

All was working fine until today. I did run skype for a while before shutting it off and another screen sharing program. I noticed that Monitor 1 was no longer displaying at 1920 x 1080, while Monitor 2 2 was correct.I went into the nvidia control panel and it it showed both monitors at 1920 x 1080 though monitor 1 clearly wasn't. I tried selecting a lower resolution, applying and them doing the same back to 1920 x 1080 but it didn't work.

I tried updating the nvidia drivers, which it did, but it didn't result in any change.

Then I tried unplugging Monitor 1 (the vga) and the display only showed on Monitor 2, which was expected. However, now monitor 2 (using hdmi) showed the lower resolution and wouldn't go back to 1920 x 1080. As soon as I plugged monitor 1 back in, monitor 2 showed the correct resolution while, monitor 1 showed the lower resolution once again.

I've shut down and restarted multiple times.

Very confusing and can't find any other settings to try. Is someone able to give me some help?

Thanks.