Constant BSOD and crashes ntoskrnl.exe (Windows 10)

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hello everyone,
The last 5 months i have been constantly struggeling with various BSOD's and crashes (my pc freezes) since i got my new MSI GTX 1060, a new SSD and a fresh windows 10 install.

All of the BSOD's are being caused by ntoskrnl.exe (sometimes Saibus.sys) and occur most of the time while I'm playing Overwatch but also randomly.
I have red a lot of posts on this forum about the error and most people reffer to bad RAM.
But i want to be sure the problem is caused by bad ram before purchasing new ram sticks.

I get alot of different BSOD errors such as (from most common to less common):
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

So today I ran a memorytest and after 1 pass it came up with 4 errors on test #4 and 2 on #7
And I also did a fresh install of windows 10 but I still got a BSOD whilst trying Overwatch again.
I will run another memorytest overnight and tomorrow I will be testing both 4 GB sticks apart, I will keep you guys updated.
I really doubted the bad RAM at first because I only had problems since i got my new GPU, SSD and windows install.A lot of friends told me my power supply was causing it, could it be and how would i know?
What should i do to be sure the problem is bad RAM and not something else?

Before installing a clean install of windows 10 my Bluescreenview kinda looked like this guys: http://imgur.com/dOhACc4

BSOD Dumpfile from today's crash:
==================================================
Dump File : 081417-5562-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/14/2017 9:35:23 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000096
Parameter 2 : fffff802`f1804866
Parameter 3 : ffff8d80`3cb5ba50
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+16c4c0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+16c4c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081417-5562-01.dmp
Processors Count : 6
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 15063
Dump File Size : 768,908
Dump File Time : 8/14/2017 9:36:03 PM
==================================================

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300 65 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 (CPUSocket) 37 °C
Graphics
22EA53 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Undefined) 46 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C
223GB SanDisk SDSSDA240G (SSD) 51 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

EDIT1:
https://ufile.io/cbil7 This is the minidump of the BSOD I mentioned.

https://ufile.io/u3ny2 And this is a minidump of the BSOD that i got today, caused by both ntoskrnl.exe and win32kfull.sys

This was after I updated my drivers for my motherboard with the APP Shop application from ASRock

Solution
that is sort of difficult unless you know what memory you have now and buy the same type again. It is easier to buy another set of ram and replace it or put that 4gb stick that is in PC currently into channel 2 on motherboard so it isn't really matching the old ram and just running alongside it

check motherboard site and see what ram it can take before looking - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=Memory

part number of current ram is: Part Number BLS4G3D1609DS1S00.

I would get 16gb if you can afford it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it should just be a driver

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your reply,
I will defenitly post a link with a dumpfile as soon as I get another BSOD

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't say I have ever seen Saibus.sys before. Is that still mentioned as a cause?

Saitek Magic Bus driver... the saitek drivers page seems to be broken? http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
appears its drivers for your flight stick?

did you update drivers for motherboard? Asrock have a program called App store which should check your board for updated drivers. It might be that another USB driver is to blame, hard to tell until we see the dump files.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

https://ufile.io/cbil7 This is the minidump of the BSOD I mentioned.

https://ufile.io/u3ny2 And this is a minidump of the BSOD that i got today, caused by both ntoskrnl.exe and win32kfull.sys

This was after I updated my drivers for my motherboard with the APP Shop application from ASRock

Note: I have noticed since I got a fresh install of windows 10 that the BSOD's and crashes are a lot less common

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/11L6pBXT

File: 081617-5875-01.dmp (Wed Aug 16 12:43:48 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)] {c0000005, fffff2d580852013, ffff968016515e00, 0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Battle.net.exe)

File: 081417-5562-01.dmp (Mon Aug 14 15:35:23 2017)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)] {c0000096, fffff802f1804866, ffff8d803cb5ba50, 0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: NisSrv.exe)

I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I would uninstall all GPU drivers and run DDU in safe mode. Then reinstall the drivers. Also, just to be safe, update your motherboard BIOS. Sometimes an older BIOS can cause issues with GPUs not working properly.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Update: So i just got another BSOD, here's the dumpfile: https://ufile.io/n5njq
and after the restart of my pc, I noticed that my audio was not working correctly (static noises), I also noticed i had bad framerate and every aplication just seemed to work slowly
And I almost fergot to mention that my cpu is constantly overclocking at 3.64 GHz

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have the latest BIOS so that is not an option

old drivers that could be cause:

AODDriver2.sys (dated Tue Feb 11 2014) - AMD Overdrive. Update or remove
AsrAutoChkUpdDrv.sys (dated Mon Mar 10 2014) - Asrock updater... this might be an old version of Appstore? update or remove
RTKVHD64.sys (dated Wed Jul 15 2015) - Realtek HD Audio, get latest version here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5993-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html
cfosspeed6.sys (dated Wed Sep 9 2015) - cFosSpeed Driver from cFos Software.. Internet accelerator?
rt640x64.sys (dated Thu Jan 7 2016) - Realtek NIC drivers, http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=5&PNid=13

nvidia drivers aren't that old. Newest motherboard AMD driver is 2015 so i won't bother listing all of its components here

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
So yesterday I ran memtest on both my memory sticks and one came out with 0 errors and the other one with 1200+ after 15 hours. But now when I try to start up Windows i get this error: 'Your device needs to be repaired' File:winload.exe
Error code: 0xc000000e
I tried running it with the faulty memory stick first and afterwards with the good memory stick only
Note: To be clear, I first tried to run windows with only the bad memory stick (1200+ errors), could it be that this stick alone corrupted my files so badly that startup wasn't possible anymore?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if memtest finds any errors on stick, you should remove it from PC, not try to use it again. The existence of 1 error is too many for memtest, 1200+ is slightly more than 1. That is probably source of many of the BSOD.

Now fixing windows...

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy repair disc (only do this if you don't have one already)

we can try a few things using installer to fix that winload error...
try startup repair:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

try system retsore
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
choose a recent date (since you recently clean installed, there should be something)
PC will roll back settings and hopefully fix this.

if neither of those work, is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

I would do a reset and keep files/settings (will need to reinstall all your programs on C drive again. If games are in a steam folder on hdd, they won't be touched and you can reuse them after the reset - just download the steam client and point the default save location at old folder, steam won't dl them all again.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

I just got my C drive cleaned a few days ago so I don't mind that I lose my files, all my important files are stored on a cloud server. Are you recommending that i really should fix the winloader problem or can I just reinstall windows and clean my C drive if that is possible (also do i need to clean my D drive too?)
P.S.: I always let my brother do the windows installing, since I don't know how it works. So excuse me if I just said something that didn't make any sense.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fastest option is a clean install, most likely to work anyway. I sort of understand what might have happened, its all to do with how windows doesn't shutdown when you turn it off, its sleeping. It uses hibernate so if you removed the ram to test it, windows would have lost files it stored in ram. really no easy way to avoid that apart from turning off fast startup before hand... not a step I normally suggest as this doesn't happen often.

Fresh installing isn't that hard really anymore.
One step I would take is detach the power cable of the hdd inside case while you install onto ssd. Win 10 likes to put its boot partition on second hdd if you give it a chance, disconnecting drive stops it doing this. Its a handy precaution as if it put boot partition on the other hdd, and then later that drive dies or is removed, win 10 won't boot.

its really easy to do, just follow the pictures in the link below. If I can do it, anyone can :)

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Win 10 will attempt to get the latest drivers for your hardware so you will only need to grab the asrock app store from motherboard web site afterwards and check it got the latest.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks for all your helpfull answers! I will do this as soon as I get home! In the following few days I will be trying to do the same things that caused the previous BSOD's (Overwatch+ that one tool that caused a BSOD loop which I can't remember the name of rn) but with only the good memory stick. I will keep you guys updated if I happen to stumble across some more problems, if not I will gladly update this thread as solved :wahoo:

looked at the first bugcheck, looks like you have your own activation server running on your machine.
Best to get a clean install of windows with out any activation software being installed.
(no point installing windows until you get a clean run of memtest86)

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Do you mean that all the memory tests I just ran were useless or that I should wipe or clean my drive before installing windows?

your machine should pass memtest. but if you have a pirate version of windows you can have secondary problems.
It is not fun to track down problems on systems running pirate software that installs software that tries to hide.
so, get a clean run of memtest, then do a clean install of windows without running activation hacks.
then update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendor and do all of the windows updates.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

If that's what he ment then I'll probably be fine. I've run the test serveral times on that stick, even after the winloader.exe problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you don't have a legit licence of win 10, i would suggest buying one. You won't find out about your licence situation until win 10 is installed. Win 10 can run without a licence but there are a few restrictions

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << make a new installer using this so that it is free of any extra software the one your brother used.

Follow the steps above

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

I used to use a pirated version but a few days ago my brother installed a clean version of Windows without a product key , the dumpfiles that went trough the debugger should be from the legit windows 10 installation. Unless the software was still active somehow?

the hack software is not removed if you upgrade and use a valid key. You have to do a clean install to be sure you don't have something modifying windows. even if you remove the files, often the hack software reinstalls the files every day using the windows task scheduler.
just seeing the files installed and running is only a red flag that hack software could be running. Often the hack software will also disable virus scanners, and block all of the windows updates (fakes that updates were done)

people can install the windows preview builds, then set the system to go on the slow ring so they get updates delayed up to 6 months. It does not cost anything and by going to the slow ring it is much more likely to be stable by the time you test the build.

quintendp.99

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

The problem is already solved, I overlooked the second boot from usb option, as the first one didn't work, but thanks :)