Newbie PC build

rastanatsta

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Good evening all!

I'm hoping some of you more tech savvy people could help me with a first time pc build. I've been watching youtube videos about parts and descriptions of PCIe 3.0 x 16 stuff and my head is fried.

My build is: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8ttZbj

This is my first time building a pc so I'm just looking for advice on what parts to invest in and how complicated it will be.

I will for the mean time only be playing most games at 1080p until I cash out on a 1440p monitor, but just want the TI for 'future-proofing'.

The main confusion I have is that I am going for the STRIX Z270-E GAMING motherboard with 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots. I'm assuming that's the best slot for the graphics card? And will the M.2 SSD stop me from using any slots as i've read it takes up a motherboard slot? Lastly... overclocking, is it worth it? Is it recommended? Would the cooler I've got handle it?

Obviously if anyone has any suggestions then the help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, I am trying to read up on all of this.

Regards,
Nathaniel

lilje2020

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
Hi Nathaniel,

Generally the PCI slot closest to the CPU is the dedicated slot for Video Cards. Motherboards that have the ability to support dual cards will also provide documentation of which slots to use. In reality you are buying all modern components so you won't have any compatibility issues - don't spend too much time trying to wrap your head around PCI specs etc :)

M.2 uses some of the available PCI lanes in your system. In some complex set ups this could end up being a problem. In your case it is nothing that will impact you as you don't have a system with multiple GPU's etc.

As for overclocking - that's completely up to you. The cooler you have chosen will certainly allow you thermal headroom to do an overclock. I've always personally enjoyed the experience of maximizing hardware potential using overclocking. If you are more of set it once and leave it kind of guy then you may want to avoid the process. Your new motherboard will also include software with presets for different levels of overclocking which simplifies the process. Just keep in mind that the presets are really only good for low overclock boost (200-300mhz) - I would avoid any of the heavy overclocking presets as they aren't really optimized for your specific processor. If you are trying to overclock to 4.9 or 5 ghz you'll certainly need to take a fully manual approach.

Hope this helps.

M04D18

Respectable
Jun 16, 2017
+ I think that a PSU with 550w is low for this system( Nvidia's recomendation is minimum 600w for 1080ti) , 650w will be fine , unless you gonna overclock hard or make an upgrade that will need more power . ( i recommend 750+ in this way)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q38TW/corsair-power-supply-cp9020092na
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/C3bkcf/corsair-power-supply-cp9020082na
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fqJkcf/evga-supernova-g3-eu-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0750-x3

lilje2020

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Agreed! I totally missed that. Especially if you are considering overclocking.

rastanatsta

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
That's brilliant information, seems I was worried nothing would fit together. Haha

I'll up the power supply to 650 like you recommended.

I see no real need to overclock, I think that build should last me the next 5 years or so. Might be something for the future.

Thank you for your time both of you, it's much appreciated.

~Nathaniel

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£106.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£138.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£112.50 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card (£744.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£129.80 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£118.56 @ Box Limited)
Total: £1391.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 11:11 BST+0100

When Coffeelake launches add i7-8700K and ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO. This will be a solid build.

rastanatsta

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I've read online that the Kaby lake i7-7700k has base clock speeds of 4.2ghz and easy overclock of 4.5ghz.
However the new Coffee Lake i7-7800k has a base of 3.7ghz and overclock of 4.3ghz.

The only difference is it'll be 6 cores and 12mb cache, will this mean much of an improvement.
Also apparently it's been announced that it won't fit any previous motherboard, will the 'ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO' be released about the same time?

rastanatsta

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
On a side note, can I double my ram by buying another set of 2x8gb? And would 32GB be preferable over 16GB for just basic gaming? OR could I just buy the extra sticks at a later date and just slot them in?

Intel Claims it to be 30% more powerful than previous gen which is Kabylake. So even if it gets 4.8GHz OC against i7-7700K 5GHz OC it will still give you 20% better fps. Games are not only effected by Clock speed but they get effected by IPC and gen to gen Intel improves on IPC. Even if the CPU gets a bit low OC with More cores and far better IPC it will perform lot better.

For Kabylake release ASUS released MAXIMUS IX HERO at same time. So I expect it to do the same thing now.

16GB RAM is enough for now especially for gaming. In future add more RAM.