Have a strange issue with using the Windows Search from the start Menu

strobely

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
So, when I search for a particular app in the search bar on the start menu, it brings up the app that I want. However, when I try clicking on it nothing happens. ALso, if I hover over it, it does not show a file path for it. So I believe the icon that comes up in the search menu is no longer connected to the app it is for. The problem is that I am not sure how to correct this issue. I can access the app from all programs or from its folder within the C drive, but i cannot access it through the search.

Solution
Its just very specific, every other way to load program works except search.

Most fixes are for everything not working, but in this case, its just 1 thing.

If cortana were only disabled on these 3 PC, that could be a reason but I doubt that is case. Very mysterious. I would just add the shortcut to taskbar and live with it. Perhaps a program update for windows or logmein will fix it.

strobely

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Ok, thanks, gonna give that a try.

Sadly it did not work

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you say app, do you mean all programs or just windows store apps?

If just windows apps, try running Windows store apps troubleshooter
its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot menu, scroll right panel to bottom

Do shortcuts work? if you have it on desktop?

strobely

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Sorry for the long response time, THe issue is related to two programs that I have installed on my computer, logmein control panel and logmein client. I can open them if I go to start and then all apps and click on them. But if I run a search it shows the desktop app and when i try to click on it it does not do anything. It is as if the link has been severed and so the button blinks but nothing opens.

strobely

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
it is version 4.1.0.9954

Also, the links in windows search work fine on other computers for logmein, it is just 3 computers having the issue.

have already tried multiple reinstalls.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what happens if you add a shortcut to program to taskbar? does it load? you can right click the search results and pin them to start or taskbar (this isn't my solution, just curious what it does when you try to open them)

I don't know why search can't find files that clearly show on the start list.

You could try asking on: https://community.logmein.com/, I don''t know which subforum matches your version though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you on the latest build of Win 10 on these 3 computers?

right click start
choose run...
type winver

Current version is 1703, build 15063.540

its only that app so search works for everything else? I am not sure exactly how the indexer works or what it uses to identify programs. I don't know if this is windows (as it seems rather specific) or the program itself.

One fix for search I found was open Task manager, locate Cortana in listing, right click the name and choose end task. Ity should restart itself when you do a search.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its just very specific, every other way to load program works except search.

Most fixes are for everything not working, but in this case, its just 1 thing.

If cortana were only disabled on these 3 PC, that could be a reason but I doubt that is case. Very mysterious. I would just add the shortcut to taskbar and live with it. Perhaps a program update for windows or logmein will fix it.

Solution