Windows 10 Can't Install 3.5 Net Framework

dl0802

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Tried installing in order to play Smite. Windows installer fails when I try to turn on the feature in the Windows Features application, says it cannot find the file specified. Feel free to ask for more info, also I have tried many different solutions such as using an installation media, command line, trying to download off of Microsoft's website. Please post anything that could help, and thank you.

it comes with 3.5 and 4.7 .netframework pre installed so you shouldnt need to install it.
1) go to add remove programs in the control panel. then add remove windows features and it should be highlighted as in use there.

if its not.

2) enable it and let windows install it.
3) if it fails to install then try running sfc /scannow from the cmd prompt then goto 1

dl0802

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I tried that earlier today while googling some solutions, got the same error then. Tried it again just in case, but still the same error occurs.

haroon453

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Please follow below steps to install dot net 3.5 on windows 10

1. Insert windows 10 DVD in drive/ Mount Windows !0 ISO and note the drive name (mount point)
2. open command prompt using administrator credentials.
3. type following command replacing "x" with the drive name from step 1 and press enter
"DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:x:\sources\sxs"

dl0802

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Tried it, I'm getting error 87, "The enable-featurename option is unknown." Am I supposed to the replace all the "x" with my drive name or only the one after source?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/dn482069.aspx
as for error 87 The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
reading it might help you find the fail point.

this might be easier

This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
Deploy .NET Framework 3.5 by using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)

Updated: October 20, 2013
Applies To: Windows 8, Windows 8.1
You can use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command-line tool to create a modified image to deploy .NET Framework 3.5.
ImportantImportant
For images that will support more than one language, you must add .NET Framework 3.5 binaries before adding any language packs. This order ensures that .NET Framework 3.5 language resources are installed correctly in the reference image and available to users and applications.
In this topic:
Using DISM with Internet connectivity

Using DISM with no Internet connectivity

Using DISM with Internet connectivity
Requirements
Internet connection

Access to Windows Update. If the PC or server is behind a firewall or uses a proxy server, see KB900935 - How the Windows Update client determines which proxy server to use to connect to the Windows Update Web site.

Windows® 8, Windows Server® 2012, or the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) tools.

Installation media

Administrator user rights. The current user must be a member of the local Administrators group to add or remove Windows features.

For an online reference image that can access Windows Update
Open a command prompt with administrator user rights (Run as Administrator) in Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.

To Install .NET Framework 3.5 feature files from Windows Update, use the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

Use /All to enable all parent features of the specified feature. For more information on DISM arguments, see Enable or Disable Windows Features Using DISM.

On Windows 8 PCs, after installation .NET Framework 3.5 is displayed as enabled in Turn Windows features on or off in Control Panel. For Windows Server 2012 systems, feature installation state can be viewed in Server Manager.

dl0802

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I'm really not sure what I should be looking for in the DISM log, if you want I can paste it on to here though. I tried the "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All" command and recieved an error 2, "The system cannot find the file specified."

dl0802

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Well that's what I typed when I followed haroon's instructions, didn't work then though. Tried it again now and still not working, instead this time I'm getting an Error 2 once again (before I got an error 87, I probably typed something wrong), that the system cannot find the file specified.