Random stuttering / mouse freezing and jumping

ryanjohndunne

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Hello all,
I'm experiencing freezes that occur completely randomly. Audio/Video etc will still play completely fine but my mouse cursor will very very slowly jump across the screen until after a few seconds when it corrects itself and everything goes back to normal. When it happens with a game open a few frames will be skipped while it stutters.
I initially thought maybe it was my RAM/CPU OC so I reset everything to factory defaults but it's still happening at the exact same rate.

My Specs are:
Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M7
GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti Twin Frozr
CPU: Intel 6700k
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb (main drive), 120gb corsair slave drive (doesn't really ever get used)
HDD: 2tb western digital black slave drive
PSU: Corsair AX850 (pushing on 7 years, could this be the issue?)

Disk Sentinal is giving my drives: 97%(samsung), 100%(Western digital), 98% (corsair).
I only just reformatted less than a week ago to try fix this problem and it's persisted, which makes me think it's hardware related.

My peripherals are:
Logitech g502 / Mouse
JDS Labs the element DAC/AMP with HD650's connected
HHKB silent pro 2 / Keyboard
Acer predator XB271U for my main display with an Asus vg248qe as second monitor.

Any recommendations on how to trouble shoot this would be awesome, thank you!

Doesn't Stutter during: Prime 95 or 3dMark benchmarking tools.

Only way I can recreate the stutter is to uninstall/install a program, this almost always causes the stuttering and my nvidia drivers cause it to stutter for 5 seconds after the install has completed.

Example of what is happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a9D6J5eUiU&feature=youtu.be
It happens every time a sound device is enabled/disabled.

Fixed! Used the intel management engine install wizard from my motherboard website and uninstalled it all. Now it's working perfectly fine. Seems like a bug in some bundled software that either MSI or Intel are putting in with the drivers.