Monitor blurry movement

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Alright, here's the story.

I bought an AOC 2460PF 144hz monitor. I mostly play Overwatch and have noticed that even at the slightest movements everything but my character becomes very blurry. So if I'm trying to land a headshot it's quite impossible. I can barely see the outlines of charactery when the action starts.

Yes it is set to 144hz before you ask. I haven't been able to wrap my head around it as to why this happens. One thing I have noticed in the Nvidia options is when I set the monitor to native resolution it gives me 50hz, 59hz and 60hz and then there's PC below that which gives me 120 and 144. Is this monitor not a GENUINE 144hz monitor?

Yesterday I tried the 60hz options and it is so stuttery it renders the game unplayable. I tried my cheap 60hz monitor and it's way smoother at 60hz. This literally feels like fast stop motion. Anybody know anything about these things? How can I test this monitor for faultiness? Why is everything in the background blurry when I move?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. even when I scroll my mouse when reading a text it momentarily blurs everything. I get nauseated and have headaches from this effect. I've looked at their website and it says PERFECT IMAGES WITH NO BLURRING or something like that. Either they are lying COMPLETELY or this monitor is faulty.

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

There is no motion blur option nor would I have it turned on in any game.

From the manual:
yHiwC4l.png

Have you tried that?

What is your overdrive set at? In this review, they are talking about the overdrive causing overshoot issues: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

Other than that not sure what else to try, maybe reset the monitor and reinstall the driver by removing with DDU first.

Also did you install the monitor driver? Seems weird to have to install a monitor driver in 2017 but there are reports of that being a thing that will cause stuttering issues.

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I've calibrated it. I've tried all the overdrive options. Almost no change really. Except weak, light and medium make everything blurrier.

Press to auto adjust makes absolutely no sense. Press what? There are only four buttons and there is no AUTO option.
I am plugged directly into the GPU using a display port cable. Tried a second cable and it's the same.

Reinstall the GPU driver? I have installed the monitor driver and tried the beta driver as well.

Yeah no idea, just going by what your manual says.

There are some scattered reports of blurriness with this monitor but none of the reports I have seen have a solution. So not sure if it is just defective or it is some weird configuration issue.

Have you tried resetting it via the OSD? No reason to use the beta driver, using DDU then installing the latest driver again can't hurt. Apparently AMD cards needed a beta driver to use freesync at a high range but since you are using a GTX 970, no need for that.

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I've tried everything. I'm using a 980ti actually.

I've done the UFO tests and I have a few questions. Are the UFO's supossed to be blurry or not?
I'm not talking about te ghosting levels. I can see that the level of overshoot changes with overdrive settings, but every single one of the UFO's is really blurry.

No its not supposed to be blurry. The 144fps row should be fairly clear. Does the image below look sharp to you? If so, that is very close to what it should look like, but ofc there will be that slight trail on actual motion like on the site.

HO1AIAo.png

The ghosting test however should show some. This is an edited image of the test showing what I see on my monitor at 144fps
RecsluD.png

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Yeah it looks sharp.

The latter picture is a very mild blur. Mine looks way worse. I actually just tried looking at it and I'm getting pain in my eyes from looking at it. Way blurry.

Are you using the default settings? 960 pixel per second?

I see it like that at 480 per second, but at 960 per second is just way too blurry and giving me headaches.

yeah default 960/s. Yeah the second one should be a bit blurred. I edited it like that to show you what I see when I run the test.

Are you sure its actually running at 144? I sometimes get issues with the nvidia driver where it says its 144 in the control panel but it doesn't actually change. On mine I can look in the OSD and it says what mode it is running at:
seT9FD7.jpg

This is how I found out there was a problem as it seemed choppy but the control panel said 144hz when in fact it wasn't as reported by my monitors OSD.

Had to use DDU to completely get rid of the old driver and reinstall it (without geforce experience, i just install driver and physx). This occasionally pops up from time to time (especially when upgrading drivers) but nothing DDU can't fix.

Forte777

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Well, might as well add the solution. The monitor was broken and taken in and I got my money back. The downside is my eyesight was damaged but luckily not permanently. It went back to normal after a while. I couldn't focus both eyes at the same focal length at the same time. Now my eyes are good and I'm staying away from cheap monitors.