Interesting game recording scaling question!--Need Answer

RamonG265

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Some Background:
-I'm a youtuber with a 4k tv and 2x 980ti OC in sli with 32gb of ddr4 memory
-I've been recording my games by setting the game's resolution to 4k and setting my recording software, which is bandicam, to record in 4k.
-I usually record at 4k and downscale to 1440p in my rendering software, sony vegas pro 13.
-My goal is to play games in 1440p for better fps and have the end product(video that gets uploaded to youtube) also be in 1440p without it looking like garbage.
Question:
Would it be better to change the game's settings to 1440p and keep the recording software's settings at 4k?
OR
Would it be better to change the game's settings to 1440p and change the recording software's settings to 1440p? Keep in mind that the TV is still at 4k.

P.S. I tried having the recording software record in 1440p with the TV still at a 4k resolution and it looked horrible with the game's resolution at either 4k or 1440p. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if there is a way to do what i'm trying, it's so very confusing. Please help!

Thank you

Need a bit more info. What FPS is the game playing and recording at when you have game settings at 4k? Not sure how Bandicam works, but good capture tools will let the game play at a higher FPS than the capture FPS setting, and show both capture and gameplay FPS onscreen.

Sometimes what makes captures look bad is trying to use too high game settings, which can make it capture at a much lower FPS than what you set the capture FPS setting to.

If your main goal is better FPS, capturing at 4k will only be possible if you lower in game settings enough to allow for that res with good FPS. If you do that it's recommended you adjust things that don't affect texture quality first (shadows, blur, DoF, etc).

I highly recommend watching a detailed graphics settings guide for each game to learn what settings impact performance most, such as a Geforce guide.

If it looks bad while playing in 1440p, it could also be that your display does not scale well to lower resolutions without noticeable blur. If this is the case you can try switching to GPU scaling in your GPU panel.

I've been considering going to a 4k TV and a 1080 Ti, but am a bit hesitant due to a few games like Ghost Recon Wildlands only playing at 43 FPS or so at max settings. However I'm looking at a Sony TV, and they have the best scaling. Plus in that game you can easily lower things like draw distance to make it run at much better FPS.

If Bandicam continues to be a problem though, I would suggest trying ShadowPlay at 50Mb.