How delete protected files from second HDD that has a old Windows 10 installed?

Moonpreacher

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2017
I have a 2tb HDD that´s almost half of capacity. Bought a SDD disk for Windows 10 boot, so right now my 2tb HDD is the second hard drive where I put all downloads etc. I don´t need the Windows 10 installation on that drive and logical way to go would be to re-format it...but I cannot right backup almost 1gb of files. In fact that would work as a backup hdd! I tryed normal deleting those leftover folders but they are protected by thrustedinstaller, allready tryed to edit the security but seems by the tutorials is a particular case each computer. Can somebody help me? Because I´m not gonna buy another 1Tb drive just to clean the 2tb, and while I have almost half of free space, I have 15gb of junk that cannot be deleted...

Thanks in advance

Solution
Found a very simple way. While the files are protected, they can be moved. Created a folder named windows.old and moved all unwanted folders to it. Than run Disk Cleanup, selected the drive, cleanup system and all unwanted files gone for good. No need to format or mess around with permissions a.s.o.

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017

Could you please tell me briefly what you want to do.
Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I plan on deleting my old Windows files from my old HDD in a few weeks so I'm watching this thread.

Mohan, I think what he wants to do is to delete the following folders from his old hard drive (if its drive D):

D:\Program Files\
D:\Program Files (x86)\
D:\ProgramData\
D:\Users\
D:\Windows\

... and maybe a few others. HOWEVER, he might want to keep:

D:\Backup\
D:\Home Movies\
D:\My Music\

... so he can't just format the drive. I am in the same position as I have a TB+ of files that I want to keep on my old hard drive, yet I plan on removing Windows to free up some space.

This is a common problem with people who buy a new SSD for Windows and want to use their old HDD for storage and remove the Windows from it.

The problem with this is that the folders may have certain security protections and permissions that make it difficult to delete them.

I tryed normal deleting those leftover folders but they are protected by thrustedinstaller,
I haven't tried to delete mine yet, I'm waiting till Sept 1st.

Anyway, if I am wrong about this Moonpreacher then let Mohan know.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. You should be able to take ownership of the folders, just be careful what drive you do this on as it will break windows if you take control off trustedinstaller on C drive - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

2. You can download a linux distro and use it to delete the folders, it doesn't care about windows permissions - try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

3. see the answers here for more suggestions: https://superuser.com/questions/915173/delete-old-windows-program-files-from-second-drive

Colif

Win 11 Master
In step 3 answer 2 it shows

rename Windows folder to "Windows.old"
run "Disk Cleanup" via start
Select drive with "Windows.old" folder on it
Disk Cleanup let me now delete "old version of windows"

if you don't mark windows folders on 2nd drive as old, disk cleanup will just ignore them

But that just removes Windows, I don't think it would remove all the Program files as well... never done it myself though.

Moonpreacher

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2017
Found a very simple way. While the files are protected, they can be moved. Created a folder named windows.old and moved all unwanted folders to it. Than run Disk Cleanup, selected the drive, cleanup system and all unwanted files gone for good. No need to format or mess around with permissions a.s.o.

Solution