reinstalling onto a new drive from boxed retail.

roryos0123

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Heya, this is probably a stupid question but I'm getting a new ssd soon and I'm going to need to reinstall onto it. I have the retail boxed version of windows 10 and my question, Is the process the same as previous versions of windows? I.e. Boot from the retail DVD, stick the product key in, detects the same hardware and activates? Thank you!

Note: Should have mentioned its the same physical copy of windows 10 currently installed as well, obviously.

Solution
If Win 10 is already on the PC now, you don't need to put key in

take old hdd out while you install onto ssd or win 10 may decide to use the current boot partition for the ssd. If it does that and you later removed hdd, it wouldn't boot.

Process is almost identical otherwise, main difference is when you reach screen asking for a licence code, click the link that says "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue the installation, and once finished, check the Microsoft servers to confirm PC has a valid licence for Win 10, and reactivate windows.

one less thing you need to worry about :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
If Win 10 is already on the PC now, you don't need to put key in

take old hdd out while you install onto ssd or win 10 may decide to use the current boot partition for the ssd. If it does that and you later removed hdd, it wouldn't boot.

Process is almost identical otherwise, main difference is when you reach screen asking for a licence code, click the link that says "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue the installation, and once finished, check the Microsoft servers to confirm PC has a valid licence for Win 10, and reactivate windows.

one less thing you need to worry about :)

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

Good point, slaps forehead for not suggesting it :)