Window recognise storage device but does not show on "devices and drives"

tarragon

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I've checked device manager and disk management the device does show up there but I have no access to it because it does not appear in "devices and drive" on window.

I ran sfc /scannow as advised on some sites however it doesn't detect any error I also tried to uninstall device but that also doesn't work. However I noticed something in properties>event "device not migrated".

How to I fix this problem?

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it appear in storage spaces?

go to settings/system/storage
if its not in list here, choose Manage storage spaces under More storage settings
does it show here as that would mean its been created into a raid array

right click start, choose disk management
does it show in here?
can you show us a screen shot of disk management? (upload the image to imgur and share link)

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
This thread might help you out in assigning a letter to the drive:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19472.windows-server-the-operation-failed-to-complete-because-the-disk-management-console-view-is-not-up-to-date.aspx

Good Luck.:) Peace.

tarragon

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
@VJ_Gamer

That tutorial require me to format the drive though. I think I keep that aside for the moment since the drive itself has no problem on other PC.

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017

Okay. So the better option would be to backup that drive using other PC and later you can carry on with formatting, if that's an option for you.

Peace.

tarragon

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
@VJ_Gamer

The problem is, it's not only that particular drive but any USB drive. I tried with several other eternal drives (USB2.0/3.0) non of which work but work on other PC. So to format every drive that I want to use on my PC is not a very feasible option.

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
Did you try this before?

1. Open cmd
2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter
3. Type cd \ and press Enter
4. Type cd windows\system32 and press Enter
5. Type start devmgmt.msc and press Enter
6. Device Manager window will be opened. Now in the device manager, click on View -> Select Show hidden device.
7. Expand all the nodes by clicking on + symbol. If you find any greyed or UNKNOWN entries -> Right click on it -> Select Uninstall.
8. Restart your PC -> Now try connecting your external drive.

tarragon

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
@VJ_Gamer

Tried it but doesn't work.

However, when I keep on plug in/remove my external drive it finally got through once and then back to being problematic again. Does this means my USB ports fried.

I didn't test this before but windows can read flash drives, micro SD cards and smart phones with no problem.

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
If it is recognizing other device then USB port is fine. Did you try assigning letter to it?

https://www.howtogeek.com/197296/how-to-use-the-diskpart-utility-to-assign-and-remove-drive-letters/

tarragon

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I can't assign latter to it because the external drive isn't listed in diskpart, all the volumes listed in diskpart volume list are partitions of my :C drive. Disk management detect the drive but not listed in diskpart.

I also would like to add the drive is not faulty it works fine in other PC.

gaosqq

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I had the same problem, with windows 10 formatted usb flash drives
and used Mini Tool Parititon (Free) to convert from GPT to MBR and assign a driveletter.
Problem solved