New Workstation Xeon Build

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Hello all!

I've recently been thinking about building a new machine for the scientific work I do. We have seen that after multi/paralleling our code that things go vastly faster than before (ie, what used to take a month takes about two days). However, this is still not as fast as I would like it to be.

So, I'm hoping I can convince my boss to let me build a new machine for the work I do. Right now, I have two 10 core Xeons (forgot the specific model, but they are E5's) which does a fine job. The issue is that faster is always better, which we think means more cores. Two days is great, but we can start doing awesome stuff if we got down to mere minutes.

That said, I am now looking at building a single Tower machine like the one we currently have, but using E7's. I'm eyeing the E7-8890v4's, and drooling at the thought of rocking 192 threads versus 40, it would open up some amazing possibilities for my research since I'm heavily reliant on grid searches (the code has already been massively refined and there is no getting around it easily). Even just going up to 96 would be a huge leap.

However, I'm noting that the socket type is listed as an "FC"LGA2011. I like to think I'm competent at building computers (this would be build number... 6? I think?), but I can't seem to find any "FCLGA2011" motherboards.

I guess all I'm really asking is: can anyone recommend a good FCLGA2011 4 socket motherboard? I'm aware of the cost, but cross talking MB's is a no go since that messes with the precision of these calculations. It all needs to be on one board (we compared results from a cluster and they were all borked up so we are afraid to play with blade server builds if it doesn't pan out). Yes, we are doing some weird things :)

Thanks all!

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
The FC means "flip Chip"... Just a more full name of LGAxxxx. I don't know why they bothered using two different names for the same thing. Even so, I'm haing trouble finding a mothebroard for that as well...

You're looking at rackmount servers with like 4 CPU sockets.
You can't really... buy those to build yourself.
I know Cisco sells multi cpu servers like that.
You don't really, find "motherboards" that support 4 CPUs, you find whole chassis that do.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100283189%20600009053

getting them up and running right can be a nightmare as well as these motherboards typically don't have the broadest CPU support.
SuperMicro is the company you'd most likely be looking at buying from: https://www.supermicro.com/index_home.cfm

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
I see. So I would have to basically buy a purpose built chassis with the MB already installed and THEN install the CPUs? It's sounding like if 4 socket MB's are difficult to mess with then I may just go back to my original plan of a 2 socket and then figuring out those Phi processors. Still, that's a big help, I wouldn't have considered a prebuilt "thing".