Samsung 28" UH750 Monitor: any info?

smithchrism

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm looking to potentially get a Vega 64 based Graphics card soon. Along with that, I'm looking at Freesync monitors. I noticed Samsung has recently released multiple Quantum Dot based monitors. They made a lot of noise recently with some very high end, curved HDR capable monitors introductions. I didn't realize they released other, more cost effective monitors well.

I'm looking at their 28" UH750 QLED USH Monitor here: UH750 QLED Monitor Page on Samsung's site

I know this isn't a top of the line monitor (it lacks 144 Hz as an example...). However, at $499 it looks like a great way to get into 4k gaming.

Some questions:

- The specs say this supports Freesync. Is this Freesync 2?
- I wonder what the FreeSync window on this is? I'm betting 40 hz to 60 hz.
- Has anyone seen this monitor or one of their other, newer QLED monitors. How is the image quality and such?
- This is a 4k monitor. Suppose I'm not comfortable playing a game at 4k due to low FPS for a given game. If I drop the resolution down to 2k to compensate, will the image still look good? I'm asking because sometimes on some monitors when you drop the resolution down from its native resolution down to a level lower, the image quality can degrade. I'm not just talking about less pixels but maybe the screen looks a bit bland, the colors get screwy, etc.. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any information,

Chris Smith

Freesync 2 is mostly for HDR support, and I do not see a description of HDR in Samsung's product description. HDR would be a high selling point, so I doubt it's Freesync 2 capable. There are no reviews, so details are sketchy outside of what Samsung has released. And speaking of HDR, there are some shady marketing claims by monitor manufacturers, including Samsung, where they claim HDR support but it's really software and not an actual HDR-compliant monitor (meaning 10-bit panel, luminance, color gamut, and color range standards).

Regarding monitor resolution, keep the native at 4K on the desktop but drop the in-game resolution setting to say 2560x1440. I've run my 27" 1440p monitor in games at 1080p and it's fine, especially when kicking up AA to offset the reduced resolution. Nothing more than just reducing image quality as you'd expect. Don't ever change the native monitor resolution. Just change the in-game resolution settings to control FPS.

smithchrism

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
You know, I see what you are saying. I compared this monitor to two other monitors Samsung recently introduced. Those two monitors mention HDR and FreeSync 2 as features. The monitor I mention in this post doesn't. But...

The monitor I posted about shows a heck of a LOT of colors. Does this not mean it's an HDR monitor? Not all HDR monitors mention HDR in the spec but yet they HDR; you can see how many colors they have.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll wait a bit before I purchase anything related to a new vid card and 4k monitor.

Chris Smith

Well right now there's format confusion going on with what constitutes "HDR" and there are several versions/formats used and supported between the key players. But one thing has already been settled by a consortium of various panel makers, movie studios, and streaming providers known as the UHD Alliance.

They only allow an official HDR stamp of approval with the product box being labeled with "Ultra HD Premium" on it. So if you see something that says it's HDR on the box (or in the description) and there's no reference to being UHD Premium anywhere, then it's a non-approved HDR device or service. One of the core official HDR requirements is being a 10-bit panel. Samsung does not reference if it's an 8-bit or 10-bit TN panel

Here's an example of Dell monitor being advertised as "HDR" when it is does not have the stamp of approval from the UHD Alliance:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/dell-offers-u2518d-wqhd-ips-panel-with-fake-hdr.html