Multiple games crashing to desktop.

swsledwards

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I recently had a BSOD problem with the error 'Memory Management' that I (seem to have) solved by updating drivers and doing a registry repair (I am unsure of which actually solved the issue).

In the process of trying to fix that I ran a memtest and a mem check (which both came up clean) a check disk (on both of my drives) and a variety of other tests.

I have now not had a blue screen for many hours of gameplay but there are some games that are now crashing to desktop when I run them, some of them are - Starcraft 2, PUBG, Path of Exile, Rainbow 6 Siege, etc. I have no games installed on my SSD (it was only intended for the OS when I built my PC) and since the check disk found no issues on my mechanical I have no idea what the problem is.

PC Specs:
OS - Windows 10 64-bit
MB - Asus Z170-A
CPU - i5-6600k
GPU - EVGA 980 TI Classified
PSU - Corsair RM850
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz DDR4
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD - Western Digital 1TB

I have tracked my temps while running these games and found that the GPU hits a maximum of 81C.

If there is any relevant information that I failed to mention please let me know and I will provide it asap, this is my first time making a post like this because I usually just browse the forums until I find someone with the same issue and just copy the advice they were given.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Hello swsledwards

It looks like when you troubleshooted the BSOD, some of the game files got corrupted in the process.

Can you please try going to Control Panel and performing a Repair for the games that are crashing?

If that doesn't help, please try uninstalling and then re-installing the games.

You can start with any one problematic game, and if the solution fixes the problem, the same method can be applied to all the culprit games.

Please report back if the above solution fails to work, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!! :)

swsledwards

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I abhor people who post statements like 'nevermind, fixed it' so I will give a slightly more detailed solution to the problem that I had. For some completely unknown reason my BIOS began to detect my RAM as 3000Mhz instead of the 2666 that it actually is. I have no idea why, my computer functioned perfectly fine for a full year prior to this but the issue seems to have disappeared since I told my BIOS the correct speed of RAM. Who knows, maybe it's an issue with the Z170-A.