Windows 10 Product Key

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have a copy of win10 home that I bought from a web site along with a product key. As I was afraid would happen, the key isn't accepted by the Microsoft activation server. Said it was invalid. But one of the better forum members here at Tom's recommended kinguin.net]

Has anyone tried it? Is it legit, do the keys work?

Colif

Win 11 Master
As already stated above, buy it from Microsoft direct as then it will work first time. If you buy the digital version it will include a link to that ISO that VJ linked to.

I question the validity of this statement, if they were better they would have known to refer you to a seller that has believable prices for licences. If it seems too cheap, it probably is.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will take your advice in the future.

But I contacted the people I bought it from and found out I had waited too long to use the product key. (2 months) It apparently had a time limit on its use. They gave me a new key and a free upgrade from Win Home to Win Pro. The $29 key worked and Win Pro is now activated. So, I'm all good now.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017

He told me "Every license they sell has an expiration date. If it is not used for a certain period time after acquired from Microsoft, Microsoft will deactivate it." I have dealt with these folks before, and have never had an issue until this time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
a $29 licence is just as likely to bounce later as well. Windows isn't that cheap.

The only versions of win 10 I know of that have an expiry date on them is the educational version, but that expiry date is normally at end of 1 year or more, not 2 months... and it comes at end of install life, not when you first install it. That is very suspicious.

If you have any future problems with it, I would contact Microsoft and tell them the story

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
What about all these old rebuilt/refurbished Dells and other PCs you see sold at places like Newegg? They sometimes are sold with Win 10 (sometimes Pro) installed for less than the price of the retail Win license itself. There must be bulk licenses sold by MS that these re-sellers are allowed to use. Couldn't it be that if these re-sellers can buy the licenses in bulk at reduced cost, that there are other folks that buy them in bulk too?

Check out this first page of Newegg refurbs. $65 - $75 for a Win 10 Pro 64 bit license with an old PC thrown in for free. Many of them are Microsoft Authorized.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096%204016%20600566987&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017

Lol... Interested in one for yourself? ;) I'll PM you since Tom's Hdwr. may have rules against posting it or some such thing.
Win10 Pro 64 bit is what I ended up with, since the Win10 Home expired. Free upgrade for the inconvenience.

No I dont want you to PM me. You are trying to justify your purchase by citing Newegg sales of legit PCs that include Windows 10. Enjoy it until it doesnt work anymore.

edit: After reading your PM, I wouldnt even go to that website. Yeah that site is legit. LOL.