890FXA ud5 my favorite motherboard seems out-dated

tolejh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am an computer enthusiast and have enjoyed alot this motherboard. But it seems it doesnt support New GPUs properly like

Nvidia 1060,1070(Black screen not output tried many times With my own troubleshooting skills to make Cards start.)
Cant run games. Black screen.

Radeon RX 480 (Outputs fine, but shows Tetris before bios and post boot sequence.)
Runs games fine.

Build:
gigabyte 890fxa-ud5(cool mobo With heatpipes all over.) rev.2.1
AMD Phenom X6 AM3 OC @ 3.6ghz stable in many apps.
RAM DDR3 1600mhz 16GB Corsair Vengeance.
SSD 250gb Samsung evo.
Phanteks case without cd room for better cooling(heat goes up through filters. :)

Dying light, Depth, CS:GO, GTA5 all runs on max settings With GTX 780 ZOTAC 3GB Version card. I am still satisfied With outputted fps.

Please recommend what to do to make the New nvidia Cards work. The mobo is from 2010!

You would need to get an AM3+ motherboard like the 970 and 990 chipset boards.

This becomes a blah situation because you will be dropping $80-100 on a new motherboard of a dead platform.
If at all possible I would hang tight and then save to put your money into upgrading to a modern platform (Ryzen or Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake) which will require new cpu, ram, and motherboard.

No, it supports am3 processors like phenom II. It doesn't support am3+ FX lines.

Regardless, you don't have UEFI bios which is your roadblock on new gen GPUs.

tolejh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

So i need to upgrade mobo to get the FX cpu to make work? Two different information here...

tolejh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Yes it says NA/

And Not supported on newer FX series CPUs. I guess ill have to sell it soon and get Ryzen :) Seems fair deal to trade this away soon. But it still works flawless in all games. I am not sure what to do but use it as it is. Just upgraded to Asus 1070 8GB Turbo!