Advise1440p g-sync monitor

Gracodana

Distinguished
Budget isn't so much an issue here but I would prefer to keep it around £500. The aim is 1440p with g-sync, preferably 27 inchs but not set in stone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EN5JN5K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

This seems the best option to me but if anyone has any other suggestions with worthwhile primium features or better budget ones I would be up for listening. Also just a side note, why is g-sync so much more than free-sync?

Solution
I have two Acer Predator and they are both very nice. That monitor is a TN panel, which does not have as good of colors and the viewing angles are not great, but it is much cheaper and has a better response time than a comparable IPS panel. Other than IPS, it does not get much better than the one you selected.

Gsync is more than free sync because it is licensed by Nvidia while free sync is open sourced. So Nvidia licenses gsync manufactures so they can make more money. If you have a Nvidia card, freesync wont work. If you have an AMD card, gsync wont work.

Gracodana

Distinguished

Hmm thanks that's interesting with the licensing. How would you describe the colours on it? becuause I was considering going IPS but obviously 1440p with g-sync is kinda out of the question so I would consider toning down to 1080p.

Get the Acer Predator you first thought of. Not worth stepping down on resolution and/or refresh rate just to get an ips panel. Although for a monitor such as that I recommend a gtx 1080 ti gpu, gtx 1080 at the minimum.

There is a difference in the color accuracy and depth from TN to IPS. But you wont notice unless you have both monitors side-by-side.

For me, you first want to have a high refresh rate, over 100hz. Second, you want to look at resolution, 1440p will be very good for a long time. Third you want gsync if you have Nvidia or Freesync if you have AMD. The last thing you should concern yourself with is TN vs IPS. Some gamers will never buy IPS because of the input lag.

The monitor you picked is one of the better monitors in the world. It checks all the boxes except for IPS. If it were me and the monitor was in my budget, I would get it and not look back.

Solution

Gracodana

Distinguished

Okay thanks so much I'll go with the Acer predator I think. I'm only running a 1060 atm but the plan was to get something large (27 inch is ideal), and I can run most games in windowed at 1080p or whatever is playable. I'll upgrade my rig when coffee lake comes out or some similer big release.