Hyperthreading Vs No Hyperthreading I Need Help Understanding This

Nulgath

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hi as I put it in the title I have some basis to be built on my knowledge about Hyper-Threading.

Here is what I know so far: I do know that it takes a full core and makes a Virtual Core with 2 Cores in acting as "Threads" for load balancing. Let's Begin and I am going to bang off with I Cannot Believe What I Have Just Seen

I usually played games on I7 from the start always having 4/8 on my cores ~aka hyper-Threading enabled.On the current Setup my gaming temps were as follows, let's take a game which is normally thirsty on BOTH GPU and CPU ~The Witcher 3

Hyper-Threading Enabled
CPU Average Package Load: 40-55% *constantly jumping*
GPU Average Core Load: 99%
Frames Per Second avg: 71
CPU Package avg Temp: 70-80'C *constantly jumping*
GPU avg Temp: 72'C *stable*

Hyper-Threading Disabled This is where things start getting amazing *Gaming Wise* Which I cannot understand why.
CPU Average Package Load: 85-95% *Not jumping but more like climbing and declining*
GPU Average Core Load: 77%
Frames Per Second avg: 83
CPU Package avg Temp: 55-60'C *quite stable most around*
GPU avg Temp: 50-59'C *stable but climbs when in combat 'still lower though'*

Please do not hesitate to throw me with your intellectual superiority to why every detail there is so much different AND which is for the good?

My Specs:
I7 7700K - Stock
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2400Mhz running 2133Mhz with XMP off "can't understand why"
Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 7
Galax GTX 1080 HOF Edition
H110i GTX Edition - Stock Thermal Paste
Samsung 850 Evo - 250GB
HyperX - 250GB
WD Blue - 2TB - 7200Rpm

There is the very odd (and usually old) game that does better without hyperthreading, but, it is rare...

As many games (vast majority) do better with the I7 vs. the i5 at similar clocks, one is usually safe to say hyperthreading is normally best left on, and not messed with....

Nulgath

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

So what I can't come to conclude is why my CPU runs at a safer temp but being used x2 more?

It's not being used twice as much, it's just that the load percentage includes all the CPU's available threads combined. So if the game is maxing out 4 threads and the CPU has 8 threads available, it may appear as 50%. If the game is maxing out 4 threads, but the CPU has only 4 available, since the other logical cores are disabled, it will appear as 100%. The load isn't going up, rather the capacity is going down.

Edit: And what might be happening in that scenario is that the game may be having it's main threads all grouped onto 4 logical cores that are located on 2 physical cores. When hyperthreading is disabled, the game can't make that mistake, so those threads each get their own physical cores to themselves, since the additional logical cores simply aren't available to use.

TRENDING THREADS