PSU plug change

The Abacus

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi
Just wondering with my psu I have a EU power cable,
I have from other cables (from other items) for the UK that would fit the port, but would the different input matter at all? would it effect the psu or am I over complicating this?
Or should I just get an adaptor?
thanks

caqde

Distinguished
As long as the cable going to the PSU has the same plug, and the Amperage Rating on the cable is the same or higher it should be fine. (Higher end PSU's use cables rated for high Amperage) Given that as long as the PSU has Active PFC (pretty much any 80+ rated PSU) or you set the red switch on the back of the PSU (If yours has one I recommend getting a better PSU if possible) to the right voltage for the given country's outlets you should be fine.

4745454b

Titan
There isn't anything in the cable that prevents it from being used elsewhere. You need one end to fit the wall, and the other end to plug into the PSU. There is a worry with larger PSUs to make sure it's thick enough to handle the load. Most power cords are 14 or 16G wire, while 1.5kW+ PSUs need 10 or 12G. As long as you have a "normal" PSU you don't need to worry.

would the different input matter at all? would it effect the psu or am I over complicating this?

Mostly over complicating it. Plug it in. As mentioned above your PSU either has the ability to auto switch between input voltages, or you need to move the red switch in the back. Everything else is all automatic.