What do I do?! [Solved]

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
So I recently bought a new SSD where I wanted to install windows 10 (I already Have a 1 TB drive with windows installed) I downloaded the media creation tool got the files on the ssd ran the setup and now my system restarted with a message saying something like this: (it's in Dutch) "it seems an upgrade is started and you booted from the instalation medium. If you want yo continue the upgrade, remove the medium from the pc and click Yes. If uou want a clean installation, click No." If I click on No will it delete the data from my 1 TB disk?

Solution

Well generally the choices are USB or DVD and most people don't even have a DVD burner in their desktop these days. The install media needs to be on a different drive than the one you want to install Windows on. USB is just easier and quicker.

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok. First of all, if it's not prompting you right at the start to choose between the two, what you should do is shut down the computer, disconnect your 1TB disk and then clean install the windows 10 copy onto your ssd. After you're done, then connect your hdd and after transferring all the important files onto your ssd or usb/dvd/external drive/whatever backup you want to use, wipe it. Do not do anything with that drive until you've backed up your data first.

You could also (depending on the relative sizes of ssd to hdd), use something like clone drive to copy your windows installation over, without having to reinstall. I would still do clean install simply because it'll probably take you less time in the end, but it's an option.

You need to change the boot priority to USB first so the system boots from the installation media, you will then gests the option to install on the ssd. Do all this without the HDD plugged in. Once finished both ssd & HDD will have Windows and you will need to set the drive you want to boot from (ssd) as the first in the boot priority.

Well generally the choices are USB or DVD and most people don't even have a DVD burner in their desktop these days. The install media needs to be on a different drive than the one you want to install Windows on. USB is just easier and quicker.

Solution