PSU for a GTX1070 / i5 Build that won't buzz my ears off?

Luno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Hi,

after having experienced Graphics Card / PSU buzzing when using higher-end GPUs for some time now (see my other thread here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2326041/graphics-card-buzz.html ) and kinda giving up trying to find the cause, I found an article about different PSU models delivering "dirtier" or "cleaner" power, and that the latter ones with their more steady currents should be used if weird noises appear under higher loads (gaming, mostly). I eventually also found the PSU Tier List in this forum.

Since my old PSU (be quiet! Pure Power 530) is only in Tier 3, I thought why not treat myself to a Tier 1 PSU just to see how it pans out. So I got myself a EVGA Supernova G2 550W and to my surprise it actually worked. The GTX 1070, even at high loads, with just the faintest, almost inaudible buzzing.

All was well. They lived happily ever after. Until the fan turned on :(.

I'm not sure what reviewers these days think a "silent" fan is, but I'm pretty damn sure that this is not a silent one. Way louder than all my other fans, way louder than the be quiet PSU.

Long story short: Which PSU can I get that will have the silent fan of the be quiet and the "power quality" of the EVGA? Easiest conclusion would be to go for the Tier 1 be quiet option (Dark Power), but those go for around 150€, a whopping 60€ more than I paid for the EVGA Supernova.

u can get this PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($126.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $126.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-19 16:31 EDT-0400

or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-19 16:33 EDT-0400

that list is a bit outdated

Luno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Decided to give the Corsair RMx 550 a try.

Installed it, put it under medium / heavy load aaaaand: Silence! Well almost, but even to my sensitive special snowflake ears the amount of buzzing is very low and I don't think I could even hear the fan.

So: Can definitely recommend this one for silent builds, thanks!